Blower Motor Problems

nmdeltaforce

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the site but I am having some blower motor issues on my 07 Envoy XL and would appreciate some help. The motor would only work on speeds 1,2,3&5 for quite awhile. Then it would only work on speeds 1,2,3,&4. Now recently it will not work at all. Any Suggestions?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You need a new "resistor pack" available at any parts store for $30-40. We will have a how-to article up soon, but the item installs near the blower motor behind the glove box.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
the roadie said:
You need a new "resistor pack" available at any parts store for $30-40. We will have a how-to article up soon, but the item installs near the blower motor behind the glove box.

It might be the blower motor itself. I had that problem a while back also, it would only work on 4 and 5 and I had to change the blower which was under the glove box and it worked again.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I would probably start with the resistor pack as roadie said. I definitely would be looking at the connector pins, if they are scorched in any way I would probably replace the connector as well.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Wait a second ...... you discovered how to access the part, you chose the right tools from your collection and didn't have to ask anybody what size socket to buy, you removed the bad one, installed the new one, and never had to ask in the middle of the project for additional advice?!?!?!

:hail:

Cool. I salute you.

Now let's do that How-To article to help the ones to come who need more hand-holding. :wink:

cardsox

Dec 5, 2011
Is this the same procedure for a 2005 trailblazer-- and yes I need the step by step procedure please. Pictures are appreciated. Thanks.:smile:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
cardsox said:
Is this the same procedure for a 2005 trailblazer-- and yes I need the step by step procedure please. Pictures are appreciated. Thanks.:smile:

Only if you have manual controls. I don't think the article has been moved over here yet. But basically you remove the cover below the glove box, I believe it is the 7/32" socket. Be careful pulling it down as there may be some wires clipped to the cover. I found it easier to take the glove box door off so that I could just reach through to the resistor block. on the firewall there is a small block that has 7 wires in a harness going to it. It is either a 7/32" or 7mm socket to remove the bolts on each side. unplug the 7-wire harness and then there is a couple of wires that lead to the blower, unclip the plug into the blower. Put the new one in reverse the order.

nmdeltaforce

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Hi Guys,

I put in the new resistor pack and everything worked well... for two days. Today my wife said she smelled something "chemically" in the car and had to roll down the window. It was not the smell of wires burning. Then the blower would not work on four. She turned the car off and went into a store. She came out and the blower did not work at all. I did not notice any wires loose or scorched when I was in there replacing the resistor. Could it be just a bad part? I used NAPA. Any other suggestions?

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
When I did mine, the wiring harness was melted as well. I also smelled electrical burning before it went out. I had to replace both the resister pack and the wiring harness. I can't imagine you did anything wrong, there's not much you could do wrong. But I'm afraid that's where you'll have to start looking again.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
nmdeltaforce said:
Hi Guys,

I put in the new resistor pack and everything worked well... for two days. Today my wife said she smelled something "chemically" in the car and had to roll down the window. It was not the smell of wires burning. Then the blower would not work on four. She turned the car off and went into a store. She came out and the blower did not work at all. I did not notice any wires loose or scorched when I was in there replacing the resistor. Could it be just a bad part? I used NAPA. Any other suggestions?

The problem is the wiring connector. I am willing to bet that the old one is still working after you replace that connector.

Vicompc

Dec 5, 2011
I just had the same problem with my 2005 with the auto HVAC. I ended up replacing the control head, resistor and the resistor wiring. It works like new again.

indytycoon

Dec 12, 2011
I have the same issue, I've replaced the resistor twice and the blower once. Now the problem has returned. (after about 2 weeks). Any suggestions?

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
indytycoon said:
I have the same issue, I've replaced the resistor twice and the blower once. Now the problem has returned. (after about 2 weeks). Any suggestions?

Did you replace the connector to the resistor pack as well? The heat from the failing pack often damages the pins
and plastic in the connector, so they no longer make proper connection. Swapping a new pack on to the old connector
can make the pack fail, or appear to fail.

Good Luck!

Chris

indytycoon

Dec 12, 2011
christo829 said:
Did you replace the connector to the resistor pack as well? The heat from the failing pack often damages the pins
and plastic in the connector, so they no longer make proper connection. Swapping a new pack on to the old connector
can make the pack fail, or appear to fail.

Good Luck!

Chris

Yes, it was replaced at the same time as the last resistor pack.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
indytycoon said:
Yes, it was replaced at the same time as the last resistor pack.

What speeds are working? Do you have a digital volt meter to do some tests?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
indytycoon said:
Low (really low) is the only speed working. I do have a volt meter to test with.

Check your voltage out of the resistor and see what you are getting at each of the settings. Normally high speed bypasses the resistor. It sounds as if your motor is at fault so you may want to pull that out and check to see if it is spinning freely.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online