Blower Motor... again

nmdeltaforce

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Hi Guys,

I have an 06 Envoy XL. The blower moor would not work on 4, then it would not work on 5, then it would not work at all. I put a new resistor pack in and it worked great for 2 days. Yesterday my wife smelled a chemical NOT FIRE smell. The blower motor would only work on 2, She went into a store and came out and the motor would not work at all. Today it is working fine. Could it be a bad part? Any other suggestions. I got the part at NAPA.

neelskit

Dec 7, 2011
Inspect the 7-pin wire harness that is plugged into the Blower Motor Resistor Assembly for charred/melted wires/contacts. If the harness is damaged, it will need replacement. If the harness is in good condition, further troubleshooting with a multimeter is in order...

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
My harness was melted. I opted for an upgraded aftermarket harness with slightly thicker wire. Has been working fine for roughly two years.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
just encountered the same problem a while back my harness was FRYED you symptoms sound exactly the same as mine. its under the passenger side footwell drop the trim and pop the glove box and check it out.

Blacktrails

Dec 8, 2011
Seems to be a common problem. I just recently had to replace mine. Due to the fact that it is so common, I would recommend staying away from an OEM part. Seems to me that GM has a problem building a decent resistor pack. Especially considering that it happened to my Pontiac when I had it.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
As I stated in your original thread/post on this, http://gmtnation.com/f23/blower-motor-problems-309/. If there is any scorching to replace the connector.

There is too much resistance in the line. I am willing to bet the 5th pin, marked E, is partially melted. That is the causing the problem. If you intermittently have high speed the resistor is rarely the problem since high speed by-passes the resistor. If you kept your original resistor pack I would say that it is still good.

In this pic you can see the connector got too hot and melted a pin.
ec04c9ca.jpg

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
djthumper, my harness looked just like yours except mine was burnt on the G terminal. Stopped working while we were on vacation and I needed to get the AC working. Thought I'd be able to get by with just the resistor, but it burnt out after about a week. I replaced the harness and got a new resistor pack (under warranty of course!) :thumbsup: after we got back home.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Simon01 said:
djthumper, my harness looked just like yours except mine was burnt on the G terminal. Stopped working while we were on vacation and I needed to get the AC working. Thought I'd be able to get by with just the resistor, but it burnt out after about a week. I replaced the harness and got a new resistor pack (under warranty of course!) :thumbsup: after we got back home.

I think it melts which ever speed you were on when it decides to go.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.