Biggest tire ?

BOSSV

Original poster
May 5, 2014
Pot holes are a issue where I live and I just bent a brand new $1000 wheel sat night for my other ride. I just got my 03 TB LTZ on Sunday and want to put some 22s on. What is the biggest tire I can possibly fit without rubbing issues? Suspension is stock.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Outside diameter 30.5" without using spacers to push them out.

BOSSV

Original poster
May 5, 2014
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what would that translate to for a tire size ?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
BOSSV said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what would that translate to for a tire size ?
It does but it doesn't, really. The only measurement that's consistent is the rim size on the tire's size code. The height is entirely dependent on ALL THREE numbers. The rim size sets the base, the second digit adjusts the height, but the first digit can also have a say in overall height. For example, a P245/75R17 tire is 31.47 inches tall. A P265/75R17 is 32.65 inches.

I highly suggest using our sister site's tire calculator, found here: http://www.offroadtb.com/articles/tech-docs/tire-size-calculator/ You can set the rim, then play with the first two numbers to find one that fits the bill you're looking for if you don't want to use spacers. A P235/45R22? Or maybe a P265/40R22?

When it comes down to it, it's all about how the actual measurement, as installed, comes up. This would be taking a good old fashioned rule or tape measure and physically measuring across the widest part. But the tire calculator should be good enough to figure it out.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
The_Roadie said:
Outside diameter 30.5" without using spacers to push them out.
I wrote that out, then deleted it... thinking he'd need more of a tech answer as seen below, but I didn't have time.

IllogicTC said:
It does but it doesn't, really.
yup, it does, but it doesn't. Keep it within 30.5 and you're golden!

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
I can't imagine aftermarket 22's have the same as stock backspacing. Usually aftermarket wheels have better backspacing than our stockers allowing for a slightly larger overall outside diameter. With the right back spacing somewhere in the neighborhood of 285/40/22 is probably going to be your limit. Any size tire on a 22 inch rim is not going to be the best for potholes however.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Pittdawg said:
Any size tire on a 22 inch rim is not going to be the best for potholes however.
:iagree:

Just as some want to lower their vehicles to 3" off the ground, also not good for potholes or speed bumps. They do look cool, though.

BOSSV

Original poster
May 5, 2014
My other option is smaller wheels 18 with big tires but then I gotta do a lift which can't be cheap id imagine

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Dumping money into rims in the first place is purely cosmetic in many cases, so I wouldn't see a problem in following up in a lift which is both cosmetic and has some actual purpose, if that's the kind of look you'll be happy with going for.

Why must the 18s have bigger tires? You could always try nabbing a set of the SS 20" rims. They look pretty good and give you more than a rubber band around the wheel, at least.

Reactions: 02TrailBlazer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seeridhanoa

Members Online