Bicycle Roof Rack?

05tbowner

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Hello. I was just wondering if any of you guys could recommend a bike roof rack. I've been building rat rod style bicycles and don't want to have to take them apart and put them inside the truck, things get damaged that way. So I wasn't sure if there was any you guys could recommend or Could I just buy a universal one off of ebay. Thanks guys!

05tbowner

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
I used to use a hitch rack, but it was scratching the paint on the bikes. The roof racks I'm looking at on ebay seem to be good in ways of not damaging.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
05tbowner said:
I used to use a hitch rack, but it was scratching the paint on the bikes. The roof racks I'm looking at on ebay seem to be good in ways of not damaging.

you might want a better hitch rack.

if you are picky you can get one the bike tires sit on, instead of the frame hanging on.

I haul my $2k specialized carbon fiber bike all over without any scratches.

I don't have this one, but it looks good on the TB in the photo.

http://www.saris.com/index.php?page...=72&option=com_virtuemart&vmcchk=1&Itemid=675

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I have a Tulle 5 bike rack that goes on the back of the truck in the trailer hitch. It has been good

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Fire06 said:
I have a Tulle 5 bike rack that goes on the back of the truck in the trailer hitch. It has been good
Thule make the roof racks for GM, any of their carriers should work.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i use a rack from performance bike. there are a few different rebranded versions of this on various bike part sites

relatively inexpensive and easy to use

View attachment 23391

i had a rack mount years ago, it is a pain to mount a bike on an suv without a step ladder and i'm 6' tall. do not recommend

Attachments

• 40-3559-NCL-ANGLE.jpg
    40-3559-NCL-ANGLE.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 49

muddy tires

Dec 5, 2011
05tbowner said:
Hello. I was just wondering if any of you guys could recommend a bike roof rack. I've been building rat rod style bicycles and don't want to have to take them apart and put them inside the truck, things get damaged that way. So I wasn't sure if there was any you guys could recommend or Could I just buy a universal one off of ebay. Thanks guys!

I have a Thule base rack with 2 Thule bike carriers and 2 Canadian Tire specials. They have worked great for me since I bought them in the late 1980's. I like having them on the roof because they are up and out of the way (easy to access liftgate) and out of reach of casual passers-by. But they involve some effort to load and you have to make sure that you don't try to park in your garage with them on. :duh:

I could be convinced to sell them if anybody is interested because now I use this:

2011_DakineTailgatePad(1).jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online