Best CAI?

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I know this has been beaten to death but I really want to pull the trigger on this mod and need advice. I also realize I can DIY but I'd rather buy a kit and be done with it.

Which CAI from PCMforLESS website would be the best one and why? Or is there another one I should consider that is not on PCM4L website?

Performance Parts

I like the looks of the K&N and it appears to go direct to the TB but I can see how hot air from the engine bay could easily make its way into the air filter. :confused:

The AFE stage 2 looks like it would battle some of the hot air but it appears to only go to the resonator box. :frown:

Suggestions?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
MichEnvoyGuy said:
I know this has been beaten to death but I really want to pull the trigger on this mod and need advice. I also realize I can DIY but I'd rather buy a kit and be done with it.

Which CAI from PCMforLESS website would be the best one and why? Or is there another one I should consider that is not on PCM4L website?

Performance Parts

I like the looks of the K&N and it appears to go direct to the TB but I can see how hot air from the engine bay could easily make its way into the air filter. :confused:

The AFE stage 2 looks like it would battle some of the hot air but it appears to only go to the resonator box. :frown:

Suggestions?

Homebrew.

Looking at these it does not look like any bypass the resonator. You would be better off modding the airbox to let more air flow into the front. A true cai would route the filter out of the engine bay, but then you could have serious issues with water getting to the filter.

Maybe someone who runs one of these could chime in, but I think any gains even with a tune would be neglibile. At least with home brew you save some money and get the same concept, plastic tube, high flow filter, and a home made heat shield.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
Homebrew.

Looking at these it does not look like any bypass the resonator.

It looks like the K&N does but thats it. Why bother if it doesnt eliminate the resonator, IMO.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
I have a Volant on mine, seemed like the best idea, as it shields from heat better. I would avoid K&N, as I do not like their filters. Your best bet is to make one your self using a "green" fiter. It will be much cheaper then the K&N and your engine will be safer.

Trailshaman

Dec 7, 2011
I vote for home brew. Ive done it both ways, with the resanator and with out. Id take out the Res just for the sound alone. Based on our platform, you can build one just a nice as the company can for a fraction of the price. I made mine for about 40 bucks plus filter.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I would say a homebrew. There really is nothing special about an aftermarket its just a pipe. I have learned this lol. NOW Idk if its available for a non ss but the 4inch DIY from pcm I can see having a good gain but this is because you are dropping the intake away from the heat and getting "cold" air you lose your washer fluid tank too, but if that isn't available it sits behind a headlight so just make your own

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
4.2 needs a 3.25" pipe. I used PVC which to me should insulate better than a 1/16" abs pipe.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Ok so lets say I do the 'homebrew' one... will I have to use an aftermarket air filter or can I use the regular delco one? Will there be any benefit to simply deleting the resonator box and the OEM intake tubing? Or will I have to get a high performance air filter to realize any potential performance gains?

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
I don't think you "gain" any real hp to speak of for the 4.2's. I'd like to do the homebrew one if I could find the right size in the electrical conduit for the 90 deg elbow. Haven't had any luck yet. If you do, please let me know where!

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
fishguy1123 said:
I don't think you "gain" any real hp to speak of for the 4.2's. I'd like to do the homebrew one if I could find the right size in the electrical conduit for the 90 deg elbow. Haven't had any luck yet. If you do, please let me know where!

3" ID 3.25" OD pvc. I used a 60* elbow, but from I hear not all stores carry it.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
:redface: I'm and auite ashamed at the state of mine right now but I have some old pics somewhere. I need to remake it. Sounds like a weekend project. It gives it a long sweeping curve and I used the large end of the pvc to connect the straight piece to the filter so I only have 1 coupling going to the throttle body.

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
No worries... If you get a chance though I would love to see them. Mostly concerned with the bend/angle that the elbow makes really.

Sorry for the hyjack...:smile:

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
My biggest thing is to make sure all the hoses are hooked up where they should be on the 4.2. Seems like about 3-4 hoses linked the the air intake.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Here you go.

View attachment 19392

:ugh: Only look for a second.

Mine has 3 hoses, 2 small ones on the front, a large one about 1.25" that goes down and under, and the IAT sensor. Really think this might be a project for me this weekend. After I fix the P0128, and put my rotors on.

I would not consider this a Hijack, I think it is a good way for the OP and others to see what people have done for air intakes.

Attachments

• FireShot Screen Capture #024 - '2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - mechanicsville, MD owned by pimprol.jpg
    FireShot Screen Capture #024 - '2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - mechanicsville, MD owned by pimprol.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 15

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
million-miles said:
My biggest thing is to make sure all the hoses are hooked up where they should be on the 4.2. Seems like about 3-4 hoses linked the the air intake.

Since the newer 360's have the MAF sensor I don't think this diy will work for you.

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
Here you go.

View attachment 4733

:ugh: Only look for a second.

Mine has 3 hoses, 2 small ones on the front, a large one about 1.25" that goes down and under, and the IAT sensor. Really think this might be a project for me this weekend. After I fix the P0128, and put my rotors on.

I closed my good eye... :rotfl: How does it line up with the air box?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
fishguy1123 said:
I closed my good eye... :rotfl: How does it line up with the air box?

:rotfl:

Pretty good, :rotfl: I might have been wrong on the 60*, I think it is a 90*.

It lines up perfectly to go into the air box, on both ends it is straight for about 2-3". I cut the small end at an angle so I could get a nice approach at the airbox. Then inside the airbox it goes into the large end (coupling), which has an extension that attaches to the air filter. I also cut the front of the airbox out to allow more/fresher/cooler airflow.

If I make a new one I will take alot of pictures.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I really consider this my mock up, it took some eye balling and guess work, but everything lined up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online