Bent brake backing plate - rear?

W4UWC

Original poster
Nov 11, 2019
Nicholasville, KY
Opinions on this picture. Axle seems to turn smooth with no wobble but it's clearly not aligned with the dust shield. Appears the shield is bent.

This is a G80 I'm interested in. Do you think someone was trying to beat off a stuck rotor and did collateral damage or us the axle vent?

Attachments

• 20200827_145327.jpg
    20200827_145327.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 15

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
They may have been trying to pry the rotor from the back side, and bent the dust shield in the process. It doesn't take much.

Rust isn't an issue on that one, but where it is, the dust shields rust to the point where they crumble off in your hand. A lot of us just peel off the surround, and call it a day (I did), rather than replace them.

As long as you're sure the rotor / axle spins true, no noise from the carrier, etc., I wouldn't let the dust shield stop me, if the deal was good. If you want to do preventative maintenance, replace the axle seals (they leak; I have to do mine), and in the process of doing that, you'll unbolt the backing plate of the dust shield (so if you want to replace them at the same time, that would be the time to do it). PS: Make sure the pinion on the axle isn't shot - see if the yoke (where the driveshaft connects to) turns freely more than about 1/4" by hand - if it does, you'll likely need to replace the pinion bearings (PITA job)

Finally, the G80 locker is plentiful in these axles, so you haven't found 'gold'. If it's marginal, walk away -- there are plenty of others out there. And, of course, if you have 4WD, the new axle has to match your existing gear (or you'll need to disconnect your front driveshaft).

Reactions: mrrsm and Matt

W4UWC

Original poster
Nov 11, 2019
Nicholasville, KY
They may have been trying to pry the rotor from the back side, and bent the dust shield in the process. It doesn't take much.

Rust isn't an issue on that one, but where it is, the dust shields rust to the point where they crumble off in your hand. A lot of us just peel off the surround, and call it a day (I did), rather than replace them.

As long as you're sure the rotor / axle spins true, no noise from the carrier, etc., I wouldn't let the dust shield stop me, if the deal was good. If you want to do preventative maintenance, replace the axle seals (they leak; I have to do mine), and in the process of doing that, you'll unbolt the backing plate of the dust shield (so if you want to replace them at the same time, that would be the time to do it). PS: Make sure the pinion on the axle isn't shot - see if the yoke (where the driveshaft connects to) turns freely more than about 1/4" by hand - if it does, you'll likely need to replace the pinion bearings (PITA job)

Finally, the G80 locker is plentiful in these axles, so you haven't found 'gold'. If it's marginal, walk away -- there are plenty of others out there. And, of course, if you have 4WD, the new axle has to match your existing gear (or you'll need to disconnect your front driveshaft).
Thanks. I was led to believe the locker was more rare than it is. This rear end is free so it's a matter of if I want to haul it home. I don't really need it. Even if I did get it then trying to sell it then i first wanted to get an idea of the damage. That's why I wanted to get some opinions if this sort of thing is common.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online