Battery drain..

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Alright guys have came up with issue the past week of battery being dead in the morning a couple times this week.

Back story: bought truck year n half ago from a buy here pay here dealer. They replaced the battery for us. But put in a battery that was smaller than the tray and was only 475cca and 590ca.

This past weekend was working on the stereo and accent lighting. Found out that my gmos-01 adapter was bad since it wouldn't turn radio on and no chimes. So to get radio to work, I ran a wire from the ignition wire under the steering column to the radio. Once everything was done I found out I ran the battery pretty low and it about wouldn't start, but it still started and ran fine all day sat and Sunday.

Monday morning the wife calls me and says the keyless entry wouldn't work and truck wouldn't start bc battery was dead. I had her jump start it and it worked fine all day. (Multiple starts and stops and off and on). I ended up getting a New battery from Ryan which has 770cca and 963ca with 110min reserve. Installed it Monday evening and all has been good instill this morning.

This morning go out to truck and keyless wouldn't work so I manually unlocked and I'm pretty sure there was no dome lights as door was open either. Tried to start and nothing happened. No dash lights or anything. So hooked up cables again and it Sat for a minute or two and fired right up. Checked voltage at battery when it was running and was right around 13.9 to 14.4 and hasn't acted up at all the rest of today.

So I'm thinking there is a big drain on the battery, but not sure where to start checking.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I did leave the gmos-01 module plugged in even though it's not working. Could this possibly be draining the battery?

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
It very well could be, easiest thing I can think of would be to get a cheap DMM and put it between the fuse ends and test how much current is being drawn on each fuse. That will tell you what circuit is drawing the most amount of current. I would disconnect the adapter just in case it is draining your battery. do you have anything plugged into any of the cigarette plugs that may cause a slow drain? Any amplifiers installed in your truck that may be staying on?

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Absolutely yes. Faulty gmos adapters are notorious for draining batteries--not because of the power they suck themselves but because they chatter on the databus and prevent other modules from properly entering their sleep/low power modes.

I'm willing to bet disconnecting the adapter solves the battery drain.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
kickass audio said:
It very well could be, easiest thing I can think of would be to get a cheap DMM and put it between the fuse ends and test how much current is being drawn on each fuse. That will tell you what circuit is drawing the most amount of current. I would disconnect the adapter just in case it is draining your battery. do you have anything plugged into any of the cigarette plugs that may cause a slow drain? Any amplifiers installed in your truck that may be staying on?
Only thing plugged into power port is a car charger that's been plugged in for a long time. No no amps and only lighting is hooked up to factory dash illumination wires or to dome circuit.

AtlWrk said:
Absolutely yes. Faulty gmos adapters are notorious for draining batteries--not because of the power they suck themselves but because they chatter on the databus and prevent other modules from properly entering their sleep/low power modes.

I'm willing to bet disconnecting the adapter solves the battery drain.
Awesome well I have a new adapter that Amazon one day shipped so I will get the modules switched out tonight.

Thanks guys!

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Good job man! Glad you figured it out. My mom's battery drain on the other hand... I can't figure that out. First battery ever to get to .4v and recharge over night and still be able to start a car. probably her bcm that is fried with all the communication errors that damn car gives. lol.

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online