Battery disconnected at shop - friend's car

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Hello All,
A friend of the family took his 03 TB to the shop to get the spark plugs and a few other things done, the shop guys disconnected the battery without putting a memory savee and after I showed him the site and youtube vids he is afraid to have them connect it again. Are the actuators the only thing he will have to worry about? I already told him to let them know to clean the TB before connecting it back up cause his engine idle might be off (info got from site). I wanted check with anyone who has had other problems other than actuators upon connecting the battery after disconnecting it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
It's a fairly common belief that if the actuators were weak enough that the recalibration process was going to take them out, then they were well on their way to needing replacement anyway. Better to have it happen at a shop where it can be replaced.on the spot.

Reactions: MAY03LT

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
I've disconnected my battery I don't know how many times. HIDs, LEDs, TB cleaning, Stereo work, hell even changing the battery itself. And never an issue! Knock on wood! Lol

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Just have them connect it and see if anything went out. 10+ times here and no issues. Of course, I turn everything off before disconnecting....

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Whoa this is kinda weird. I haven't seen this brought up in a LONG time and today the same 07 TB in the video was here getting some wiring work done and I had the battery disconnected. Well, batteries. It has two now.

Since the batt was already unhooked, not much can be done except clean the throttle body to prevent the stalling with the A/C on. Like Carlton said, if one of the craptuators craps out its better to have it happen there at the shop then in the middle of BFE.

There are some good threads floating around with valid points for both sides of the argument. Best thing you (or anyone) can do is read both and pick which one works best for you. I do this for a living, and the last thing that I want to do is have to call someone and say that their truck needs more work. Not good for my rep, naddamean?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Once the battery's disconnected, it's a done deal anyway. If they're going out, they're going out. No reason to be afraid, unless the problem is being afraid of knowing there's another problem that needs fixed. So just hook that bad boy up and give it a whirl.

Reactions: yodaddy4200

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Thanks to everyone. I advised my friend to just hook it up and see what happens. Will keep you all posted on what happened. Fingers crossed.

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
MAY03LT said:
Whoa this is kinda weird. I haven't seen this brought up in a LONG time and today the same 07 TB in the video was here getting some wiring work done and I had the battery disconnected. Well, batteries. It has two now.

Since the batt was already unhooked, not much can be done except clean the throttle body to prevent the stalling with the A/C on. Like Carlton said, if one of the craptuators craps out its better to have it happen there at the shop then in the middle of BFE.

There are some good threads floating around with valid points for both sides of the argument. Best thing you (or anyone) can do is read both and pick which one works best for you. I do this for a living, and the last thing that I want to do is have to call someone and say that their truck needs more work. Not good for my rep, naddamean?
Thanks May03LT. I actually have been showing my friend all your youtube vids. He is amazed (not being too handy with tools) that most things he can do himself.

Reactions: Robbabob

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.