Bad CV? (Videos)

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I've read a few threads about bad CV axles but I just wanted opinions before I go and replace them. My seal is bad on the drivers side I've lost all of my Diff. Oil, so I'll dig up the part number on here somewhere I know I've seen it. Besides that are these bad or and I looking at something more then just bad CVs?

[video=youtube;NtOTFcPz2Ro]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtOTFcPz2Ro[/video]

[video=youtube;WsArZGWSi_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsArZGWSi_Y[/video]

[video=youtube;LS70JNj7kKE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS70JNj7kKE[/video]

[video=youtube;gwr1s-W8RtU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwr1s-W8RtU[/video]

Sorry I think I put this in the wrong Forum

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Are they making noise while driving? That back and forth movement, I believe, is just the slack in the shaft that enters the joint and held by the clip inside. Same for the joint where it enters the diff. I don't think there is any way to check the axles other than listening for noise while driving and it would change as you would turn the wheel while moving.

Maybe others can chime in as I have not had to change mine yet. Just going on very old experiences from my 1982 Citation :biggrin:.

ByCo

Sep 15, 2012
If you turn sharply to the right or left when driving do you hear any clicking or clunking noises coming from the wheel area? Are the boots intact, not split and leaking grease? If the answer to both of those is no then they are most likely ok and don't need to be changed.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Well I heard a pop one time turning sharply but I haven't noticed anything else (that could be due to my music). Now its out of oil due the seal leaking so I don't want to test drive it (not safe right?).

All the boots are intact and no grease from the axle itself is leaking.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Movement behind the tripot where it goes into the diff/disconnect is not a sign of a bad CV but rather a possible issue with the bearing where the CV shaft attaches to the drivetrain. A little movement is normal, but it shouldn't wobble around. I'm referring to the last two videos here.

For the first two videos it is a little hard to see what you're doing because the camera is all bouncy too :tongue: I know, hard to hold a camera still when yanking on stuff with the other hand.

A little in-out movement of the CV shaft between the two CV joints is normal because the inner joint is also telescoping.

Noticeable up-down or side-to-side play in the shaft between the two joints can point to a worn joint. Again, there will always be a little bit but it shouldn't be much. Usually when you yank on the shaft most movement you feel will be from the tripot shifting a bit in the housing.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Sparky said:
Movement behind the tripot where it goes into the diff/disconnect is not a sign of a bad CV but rather a possible issue with the bearing where the CV shaft attaches to the drivetrain. A little movement is normal, but it shouldn't wobble around. I'm referring to the last two videos here.

For the first two videos it is a little hard to see what you're doing because the camera is all bouncy too :tongue: I know, hard to hold a camera still when yanking on stuff with the other hand.

A little in-out movement of the CV shaft between the two CV joints is normal because the inner joint is also telescoping.

Noticeable up-down or side-to-side play in the shaft between the two joints can point to a worn joint. Again, there will always be a little bit but it shouldn't be much. Usually when you yank on the shaft most movement you feel will be from the tripot shifting a bit in the housing.

Ya thats what I was reading about the disconnect it doesnt seem to be two painful of a job. I guess the only way to know for sure is to take out the CV and check for a spun/crushed bearings right? (Only PS side right)

Ya it is a PITA to hold it still and not get my camera greasy at the same time. Sadly my camera women (wife) wasn't home at the time.

The reasoning I questioning my CVs are two things:
1) We just replaced my buddys Passat DS CV (what a PITA that was) and there is absolutely no movement. However the PS has movement????
2) I heard a loud pop one day while turning sharply but that could have been my end links (which are all brand new now).

I'll test for movement up and down and if there is none I wont touch them except for the seal that has to be replaced :hissyfit:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I wouldn't compare a VW and a GM too closely :biggrin: But what part had movement and what direction? Wheels straight or turned?

The pop could have been anything (end links like you said perhaps). If the CV had a loud pop it usually would have some decent slop in the joint.

Here's the thing - you have to tear apart and remove the whole CV axle to service the leaky seal on front differential. Replacement new Cardone units don't cost all that much, I don't know how many miles you have, but since you'll have it all apart anyway it may be worth spending the $70 and just going ahead and replacing that side CV axle anyway. I did that on both sides - while I had all the stuff torn apart when rebuilding my passenger disconnect I went ahead and put a new CV on that side. Then when I did the driver hub and and front diff seal (wasn't leaking yet but wasn't in too good of shape) I replaced that CV axle also. The originals had over 130k on them at that point.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Sparky said:
I wouldn't compare a VW and a GM too closely :biggrin: But what part had movement and what direction? Wheels straight or turned?

The pop could have been anything (end links like you said perhaps). If the CV had a loud pop it usually would have some decent slop in the joint.

Here's the thing - you have to tear apart and remove the whole CV axle to service the leaky seal on front differential. Replacement new Cardone units don't cost all that much, I don't know how many miles you have, but since you'll have it all apart anyway it may be worth spending the $70 and just going ahead and replacing that side CV axle anyway. I did that on both sides - while I had all the stuff torn apart when rebuilding my passenger disconnect I went ahead and put a new CV on that side. Then when I did the driver hub and and front diff seal (wasn't leaking yet but wasn't in too good of shape) I replaced that CV axle also. The originals had over 130k on them at that point.

Lmao ya I know nothing really to compare there.

The movement appears to only be left to right, I just tried to move it up/down and back/forth with no movement. :biggrin:

Maybe your right tho. while I have it apart I might as well replace it. I only have 86000 on the truck but I also have Marks 2.5" lift so that might add some wear miles. Advanced has them for $62.99 so I don't have to wait and pay for shipping as well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithdm