Bad Car Day...

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Ok, I'm sure you've seen the posts about my various TB issues, that's only one vehicle out of many.

I got the TB because my cavalier died, someone ran it out of oil and that killed the engine.

Then my 97 Town and Country died, starts for a second then dies, won't restart without waiting a couple min. Replaced fuel pump and fuel filter, no help.

Then my 93 Dakota turned off and didn't restart. Cranks fine, strong battery, even gas in the carb it won't fire at all. Replaced distributor cap, button, some other thing in the dis, and the ign coil. There is no spark either off the coil or the plugs. cranks fine, fuses looked good, electrically everything else works.

So I went to put my old 87 towncar back on the road, it's my baby but the MPG is a bit low. Starter is locked up (or engine, who knows)

So, the reason for my post, I need to get a second car back on the road so I'm not playing taxi all day long. Cavalier is DOA, engine has a hole in it with a rod sticking out it. Towncar is going to be parted and scrapped. So, any ideas on what could be wrong with the T&C or Dakota? Kinda similar issues, but I'm out of ideas. No CEL on either, but I was getting a code for a Cam position sensor on the T&C, but that was when not running.

I swear I'm gonna just buy horse soon.

I'd take them to a mechanic, but I try not to take $400 vehicles to $600 mechanics lol

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
Grimor said:
Ok, I'm sure you've seen the posts about my various TB issues, that's only one vehicle out of many.

I got the TB because my cavalier died, someone ran it out of oil and that killed the engine.

Then my 97 Town and Country died, starts for a second then dies, won't restart without waiting a couple min. Replaced fuel pump and fuel filter, no help.

Then my 93 Dakota turned off and didn't restart. Cranks fine, strong battery, even gas in the carb it won't fire at all. Replaced distributor cap, button, some other thing in the dis, and the ign coil. There is no spark either off the coil or the plugs. cranks fine, fuses looked good, electrically everything else works.

So I went to put my old 87 towncar back on the road, it's my baby but the MPG is a bit low. Starter is locked up (or engine, who knows)

So, the reason for my post, I need to get a second car back on the road so I'm not playing taxi all day long. Cavalier is DOA, engine has a hole in it with a rod sticking out it. Towncar is going to be parted and scrapped. So, any ideas on what could be wrong with the T&C or Dakota? Kinda similar issues, but I'm out of ideas. No CEL on either, but I was getting a code for a Cam position sensor on the T&C, but that was when not running.

I swear I'm gonna just buy horse soon.

Sorry wish i could help but if you buy a horse make sure to put GM badges on it and post pics of mods :raspberry:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I had a Gen II Dakota (years '91 - '96, mine was a '94) pics below, yes it was a show truck with hydraulics :wootwoot:

but when I first bought it in '97, all was fine... then one day it just completely died on me and it was all related to the fuel system... I had the 3.9L V6 and all 6 injectors needed to be replaced, fuel pump needed to be replaced, along with the basic fuel filter, etc... what caused this? I couldn't tell you, neither could the dealer tell me... if you ask me, I think I got some bad gas at the time, or water in the gas, etc... something along those lines... not saying this is whats wrong with yours.. but you didn't mention anything about the fuel system in general... but then you said you added fuel and it didn't change anything.. so maybe that's not your case...

hope you get one of your rides up and running...

104_0423.jpg

104_0421.jpg

104_0428.jpg

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Boricua SS said:
I had a Gen II Dakota (years '91 - '96, mine was a '94) pics below, yes it was a show truck with hydraulics :wootwoot:

but when I first bought it in '97, all was fine... then one day it just completely died on me and it was all related to the fuel system... I had the 3.9L V6 and all 6 injectors needed to be replaced, fuel pump needed to be replaced, along with the basic fuel filter, etc... what caused this? I couldn't tell you, neither could the dealer tell me... if you ask me, I think I got some bad gas at the time, or water in the gas, etc... something along those lines... not saying this is whats wrong with yours.. but you didn't mention anything about the fuel system in general... but then you said you added fuel and it didn't change anything.. so maybe that's not your case...

hope you get one of your rides up and running...
Mine is a rusty bucket I use for towing and hauling stuff. Always ran good, handles great for towing.

Interesting, do you know if fuel issues would cause lack of spark? Not sure really how much of this truck is "smart" and if it would shut off spark if it wasn't getting fuel. A spark light shows nothing on the wires or off the coil. Pushing the pedal all the way down when cranking does change the sound a bit but never gets that trying to fire sound. Pouring a bit of gas in the intake doesn't seem to do anything at all.

I was thinking that maybe someone has been messing with putting stuff in the tanks. The problems only showed up after the vehicles started getting driven to school.

(BTW, holy crap, $90 per injector!?!)

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Grimor said:
Mine is a rusty bucket I use for towing and hauling stuff. Always ran good, handles great for towing.

Interesting, do you know if fuel issues would cause lack of spark? Not sure really how much of this truck is "smart" and if it would shut off spark if it wasn't getting fuel. A spark light shows nothing on the wires or off the coil. Pushing the pedal all the way down when cranking does change the sound a bit but never gets that trying to fire sound. Pouring a bit of gas in the intake doesn't seem to do anything at all.

I was thinking that maybe someone has been messing with putting stuff in the tanks. The problems only showed up after the vehicles started getting driven to school.

(BTW, holy crap, $90 per injector!?!)

I have no idea on the lack of spark... I do remember them changing my spark plugs once all the fuel work was done... but again, that was over 16 years ago now, so I don't recall why... plus I was only 16 yrs old at the time :rotfl:.. all I remember is they had the truck for 3 days and my bill was over $1000 bucks when it was all said and done and that they had to change injectors... wish I could help more bud...

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
sometimes a locked starter is the solenoid, which a gentle tap with a hammer can shake loose.

free advice,......

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Today, on the Dakota, changed the CPS crankshaft position sensor. Didn't change anything. got the volt meter out and the wires to the ign coil were dead. Did a continuity test off the ECU and the circuit is good, it's just not getting anything from the ECU. Unplugged the ECU completely and the engine behaved exactly the same with and without it connected. Gonna see if there is a way to test it or maybe grab one at a junk yard and see if it will help. anyone have any ideas on how to check an ECU on a 93 Dakota?

triz

Apr 22, 2013
The crank position sensor and the cam position sensor are two different sensors. Both will screw with the timing on the car causing it to not start, start but shut off and or screw with spark on the spark plugs hence not being able to get it started.

If you are getting fuel, check your spark plugs and see if your geting spark by grounding the spark plug on some metal on the car. Once you have fuel and are getting spark you might to need to look at timing ( see above ) If your not getting spark. Work your way back from the plugs with a meter and test. Check your plugs and coil packs or wires. If those are bad you wont get the spark or it will be very weak.

A compression test would also be in order. That will tell you if the motor is healthy. Seeing as you have several vehicles I take it they sit for a long time which generally is not a good thing for cars.

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
triz said:
The crank position sensor and the cam position sensor are two different sensors. Both will screw with the timing on the car causing it to not start, start but shut off and or screw with spark on the spark plugs hence not being able to get it started.

If you are getting fuel, check your spark plugs and see if your geting spark by grounding the spark plug on some metal on the car. Once you have fuel and are getting spark you might to need to look at timing ( see above ) If your not getting spark. Work your way back from the plugs with a meter and test. Check your plugs and coil packs or wires. If those are bad you wont get the spark or it will be very weak.

A compression test would also be in order. That will tell you if the motor is healthy. Seeing as you have several vehicles I take it they sit for a long time which generally is not a good thing for cars.

No spark off the coil, no power to the coil. Voltage reads 0 off the green/orange and white wires off the ECM that go to the ing coil. There are a couple tests I need to do with the volt meter when I get home to see if the ECM is getting power or not, if it is, I will probably pick up a used one this weekend.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online