Backup Camera questions

halmc

Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
I have an '07 Envoy with the radio/nav depicted below. I want to add a back up camera, but only if I can use the existing nav head to display its images.

I see back up cameras that are advertised to work "with any compatible nav head"

So my question is, would that likely include mine.

BTW, I am aware that I could install a complete back up camera with a separate screen for back up display, but that ain't what I want: I want to use the existing nav head.

Lastly, if this is the incorrect forum, pls refer me to the correct one, and mucho thanks!

Here's the unit in my Envoy, it is a touch screen unit:

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
halmc said:
I see back up cameras that are advertised to work "with any compatible nav head"

So my question is, would that likely include mine.

I haven't done it to a factory stereo, but I know there's no RCA jack for video input on the OEM Nav unit, unless they added it to the later model years.

You'll need to get an adapter, something like this:

Metra® TVN-GMH2 - Radio Wire Harness

The instructions say you 'll need to open the back of the stereo to install the adapter:

http://www.carid.com/images/brand/metra/pdf/insttvn-gmh2.pdf

Edit: after looking at the pictures I don't see an RCA jack on this either, although the description here says
  • Allows user to display video images on the factory navigation radio screen from an auxiliary video source
  • Includes two video input, with one input activated automatically when the vehicle is in reverse for use with a back-up camera
So I don't know how they're getting the camera signal to the stereo.

halmc

Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Thanks, that's very helpful. The whole issue turns on whether they (GM) changed the radio for the 'late model years'. Mine's an '07, and I can help but notice that the item to which you referred me is listed up to an '06.

Perhaps someone knows whether this specific radio (pictured in my initial post) has the RCA jack already on board.

Dad-O-Matic said:
I haven't done it to a factory stereo, but I know there's no RCA jack for video input on the OEM Nav unit, unless they added it to the later model years.

The instructions say you 'll need to open the back of the stereo to install the adapter:

Edit: after looking at the pictures I don't see an RCA jack on this either, although the description here says
  • Allows user to display video images on the factory navigation radio screen from an auxiliary video source
  • Includes two video input, with one input activated automatically when the vehicle is in reverse for use with a back-up camera

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Dad-O-Matic said:

Well, the 360's with the rear seat entertainment would have to feed to the head unit somehow so presumably there must be some sort of input on all of the head units??

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
Jkust said:
Well, the 360's with the rear seat entertainment would have to feed to the head unit somehow so presumably there must be some sort of input on all of the head units??

The RSE has an audio input to the HU through the 12 pin connector, no video. I assume that's why the adapter requires you to open up the HU to install, so you can intercept the video signal between the screen and the video processor. But until I see their wiring schematic that's just a guess.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Dad-O-Matic said:
The RSE has an audio input to the HU through the 12 pin connector, no video. I assume that's why the adapter requires you to open up the HU to install, so you can intercept the video signal between the screen and the video processor. But until I see their wiring schematic that's just a guess.

Agreed. On the other site there's been a few write ups on this with some discussion on the ribbon. One included comments from a guy on the GM team that created our platform's radio. I haven't looked for a while but I seem to recall someone successfully got the factory nav to accept video. They really stretched the length of time they used the old school systems in our platform.

neelskit

Dec 7, 2011
Dad-O-Matic said:
after looking at the pictures I don't see an RCA jack on this either, although the description here says

According to the installation instructions, the TVN-GMH2 harness is used to interface to an external unit (TVN-UN) that includes an automatically switching (upon putting the vehicle in reverse) back-up camera as well as an auxiliary video input:

VIDEO AXXESS TVN-UN INTERFACE TO ADD VIDEO AND BACKUP CAMERA MUST USE CORRECT INTERFACE HARNESS. CALL FOR HARNESS 713-626-7627 350.00 INCLUDES CORRCT HARNESS;

FYI, the TVN-GMH2 harness is listed compatible with 2006-2008 GMC Envoys with factory navigation radios.

GCTB1289

Mar 19, 2012
Glad you made it over. More knowledgeable people over here. Tried helping best i could but wasn't familiar with your HU

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
neelskit said:
According to the installation instructions, the TVN-GMH2 harness is used to interface to an external unit (TVN-UN) that includes an automatically switching (upon putting the vehicle in reverse) back-up camera as well as an auxiliary video input:

VIDEO AXXESS TVN-UN INTERFACE TO ADD VIDEO AND BACKUP CAMERA MUST USE CORRECT INTERFACE HARNESS. CALL FOR HARNESS 713-626-7627 350.00 INCLUDES CORRCT HARNESS;

FYI, the TVN-GMH2 harness is listed compatible with 2006-2008 GMC Envoys with factory navigation radios.

Good find, I saw that late last night, but everywhere I looked for the TVN-UN said it was discontinued. My search-fu skills failed me.

neelskit

Dec 7, 2011
Dad-O-Matic said:
Good find, I saw that late last night, but everywhere I looked for the TVN-UN said it was discontinued. My search-fu skills failed me.

I saw this as well- most of the sites that listed the TVN-UN also showed it as being discontinued.

I'm not sure if it's even needed- you may be able to rig something up to change the display of the Nav Head Unit to show a back-up camera using the adapter harness, without using the TVN-UN. I'm not sure what's going on electronically in the TVN-UN to say for certain, but assuming all it is doing is intercepting the video signal to the monitor, replacing it with another CVBS signal when the reverse switch is grounded, then putting it back, then that can be done easily. However, if the video signal that is being intercepted is LVDS or some other DIGITAL signal, then this just got a whole lot more complicated...

Curious to see how this turns out...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.