AWD when in Reverse?

TexasMustang

Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Today i was backing a trailer across a muddy yard - and up a slight hill. I was moving very slow when the tires broke loose and I couldn't go any more. The front wheels never engaged. I pulled forward and then went back again a little faster. The second time I hardly slipped at all. AWD was definitely engaged.

Does AWD not always engage when in reverse? Or did it not engage because I was backing very slowly? Or is something malfunctioning with the transfer case?

This is on a 2005 Rainier.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I don't see anything in the shop manual about it being locked out, but that's a very good and subtle question I might have to defer to somebody with the NP126 transfer case.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Believe both of mine work in reverse.

TexasMustang

Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Jkust said:
Believe both of mine work in reverse.

How about at very low speed?

It worked on the second attempt - but my speed was higher. Still slow since I was backing a trailer through a narrow spot, but faster then attempt one.....

Don't know if this is a reverse issue, speed issue, or malfunction?

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
TexasMustang said:
How about at very low speed?

It worked on the second attempt - but my speed was higher. Still slow since I was backing a trailer through a narrow spot, but faster then attempt one.....

Don't know if this is a reverse issue, speed issue, or malfunction?

Well backing up the icy driveway slowly and the AWD has always kicked in. I can't think of a good way for me to verify this in the summer.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
strat81 said:
Is it possible that the vehicle wasn't in AWD but the G80 locker was engaged?

Does the Ranier have a selector switch?
I thought it was always AWD.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:

No selector switch, just on demand AWD.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:

The Rainier does not have a selector switch. It's AWD is akin to the Trailblazer's A4WD setting. So, it's 2WD until something slips, then the transfer case engages, sending power to the front.

So, even though it's AWD, it's not always sending power to the front. That's what I meant when I said that maybe it wasn't in AWD. A better way to have phrased it would have been "Maybe the transfer case wasn't sending power to the front." :smile:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
strat81 said:
The Rainier does not have a selector switch. It's AWD is akin to the Trailblazer's A4WD setting. So, it's 2WD until something slips, then the transfer case engages, sending power to the front.

So, even though it's AWD, it's not always sending power to the front. That's what I meant when I said that maybe it wasn't in AWD. A better way to have phrased it would have been "Maybe the transfer case wasn't sending power to the front." :smile:

:thumbsup: Got it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online