Autozone Duralast Gold Starter Motor with Lifetime Warranty or AC Delco New with 30 day warranty.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I've always liked AC Delco but their warranty seems somewhat weak. I can get the AC Delco starter for $126 delivered in 10 days. Or I can get the Duralast Gold for $188.00 delivered in about 3 days. The extra $62.00 is fine as long as it's worth it. The Duralast Gold is usually $235 but got a coupon code for 20 percent off if I order it online and they deliver it.

Autozone has been very good to me over the years with their warranties. My main concern is getting a quality starter that I won't have to replace in the near future.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

jerflash

Aug 12, 2020
NYC
if its lifetime and they are easy to work with then go for it. rock auto has 24 moth on acdelco and oem remans

Reactions: c good

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just reading here, I haven't read much good about Duralast. Maybe it depends on which parts.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I bought an AC Delco reman. alternator for my plow truck thinking it should be superior to the other stuff out there. Well first thing I find is that the spacer is installed on the wrong side of the fan and upon closer inspection I see an aftermarket voltage regulator.....so I'm a little snake bit about AC Delco now....:twocents:

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I bought an AC Delco reman. alternator for my plow truck thinking it should be superior to the other stuff out there. Well first thing I find is that the spacer is installed on the wrong side of the fan and upon closer inspection I see an aftermarket voltage regulator.....so I'm a little snake bit about AC Delco now....:twocents:
Understandable. The AC Delco I'm looking at is new. Not a reman. I just want something that's quality so I don't have to replace it again as in for a LONG time. It is in a tough spot to get to especially since I have 4x4.

Reactions: northcreek

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I also once got an ACDelco reman alternator and it failed within a month. Got a new Chinese one and it lasted until the truck went to it's grave.

Batteries are made by only a couple of companies. Interstate and Johnson Controls. More than likely the Duralast is a rebranded Johnson Controls. If it has lifetime warranty, I'd go for that.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
TYC seems to have good write ups. I think I've seen it mentioned here before also. Just ordered one. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Forgot about TYC. I've had good luck with them and they've been around a while.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Received the TYC starter and it looked pretty good. I noticed the high current lugs are not brass/copper. The main thing that is the problem is the selenoid is indexed incorrectly for the wires to match up without stretching them from their harnesses. It requires buying a special torx socket that I don't have to remove the three bolts, rotating it and rebolting. So, sent it back and ordered the AC Delco. The AC Delco lugs are in the correct positions, the high amperage lugs are brass/copper. Overall just appears to be better quality.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bbcman601

Members Online