Automatic A/C Mode Door Actuator Recalibration

cbwilsha

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I recently began hearing the characteristic clicking of a mode door actuator seeking. I could manually control the mode to stop it but decided to try the recalibration procedure I read about in the Service Manual and remember Roadie mentioning in the past on this and the OS. To my happy surprise, it worked!!

So to those who encounter this problem in the future, I heartily recommend at least giving the recalibration procedure a try before attempting replacement.

The procedure I used varies slightly from the official one in the Service Manual. With the vehicle running, turn the A/C OFF. Then, turn the ignition OFF. Remove the 10 AMP HVAC B fuse in the rear fuse box under the rear driver's side seat. Replace the fuse after about a minute. Start the vehicle. DO NOT TOUCH ANY CONTROLS FOR A MINUTE while the recalibrating process is taking place. You will hear and feel the mode doors being put through their paces.

If you are as lucky as I was, the mode door seeking and clicking will be gone.

C.B.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Interesting, and thanks for the report. When it started clicking, had you recently discharged or disconnected the battery, or was it spontaneous? Clickage that appears out of nowhere would be a new syndrome I haven't heard of before.

cbwilsha

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Clicking just appeared one day and may not be there the next day. I had not had any trouble of any kind nor had I disconnected the battery in over a year. That's the main reason I posted since there appeared to be no reason but the recalibration cured the problem.

C.B.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online