Are these 2 radios interchangeable?

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Hey folks,

I've got a 2006 Envoy with the Bose system, no navigation. The radio appears as such:
Factory-Stereo-R-2154-main-image-1.jpg

I am looking at a radio from a TB-SS that looks like:
TrailBlazer-SS-Interior-14-thumb.JPG

Are these 2 radios interchangeable, ie just plug and play? What would be needed to add navigation to mine?

Any opinions on the original or the SS radio? I don't want to go aftermarket and this is basically a gift if I want it.

Thanks
Marc

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
More than likely, you'll need the dealer to program the VIN into it to unlock it.

Reactions: Matt and mcsteven

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
I cannot remember 100% but I think they may be different and you cannot switch them. There are LUX and non-lux bose radios on our platform. You cannot switch between either one of them, it has to be lux to lux or non-lux to non-lux. The only real thing you need is the GPS antenna unless they just use the same antenna that onstar uses but have another connection inside it for that use.

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Mooseman said:
More than likely, you'll need the dealer to program the VIN into it to unlock it.
I'd have the VIN. The truck belongs to a friend.

kickass audio said:
I cannot remember 100% but I think they may be different and you cannot switch them. There are LUX and non-lux bose radios on our platform. You cannot switch between either one of them, it has to be lux to lux or non-lux to non-lux. The only real thing you need is the GPS antenna unless they just use the same antenna that onstar uses but have another connection inside it for that use.
OK - so I have a LUX unit now (the BOSE were LUX units if I researched it correctly) and this radio, having Nav, would have been a BOSE unit (making it a LUX as well). As far as I could research, if it had nav, it was a BOSE radio.

Anyone have info to the contrary?

EDIT:
I got the part number of the SS radio and sent it, my VIN, and some questions to a friend who is a parts & service mgr at a Chevy/Caddy/GM dealer. Asked him if he could check. But still open to any info any of you might have to share.

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
mcsteven said:
I'd have the VIN. The truck belongs to a friend.
That doesn't matter, this isn't something where you punch in a code like the old theftlock system, you have to use a GM Tech II scanner to "relearn" the VIN, so unless you have access to one of those you HAVE to go to a dealership and pay between 60 and 125 to have it done, my mom went thru this when the radio in her sonic would randomly turn on even with no key in the ignition (like she would get home, shut the car off, get out, radio turns off, come back out 30 minutes later to get something and the radio is playing), she bought a used radio online and had to have this done, I believe they charged her 80 bucks, but that was still cheaper then the dash kit and wire harness adapters it would take to properly install an aftermarket radio in that car (or a bose equipped GMT-360 for that matter).

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The nav radios came in LUX and non-LUX flavours, so, just because it says Bose is no indication. Your friend at the dealership will be able to tell you if it's interchangable through the part numbers, if he knows what he's looking at.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: mcsteven

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
If it's from an SS, I believe it should work in your 06.

There were both Lux and non Lux Bose systems. (Lux were in the early years if I remember correctly)

Reactions: mcsteven

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
As much as I'd like to get it, the stealership wants $89 for the programming. My radio works just fine.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
If your getting the radio as a gift and it's compatible, I'd shell out the $89 for the programming.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Even if paying just $200 or so, it's still worth it. These can go for $400-$600

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
You're talking to a guy who is waiting since the beginning of Sept for disability from Social Security. Loss of most use of my dominant hand has kept me out of the income producing loop for a bit.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well, if you can get a part # off the radio from your freind, I might be interested in buying it.

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
It would've been a gift to me but he ended up selling it online.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online