Are all 4L60Es the same?

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Hi All

We've purchased a 06 Escalade and are selling the 05 Envoy. We just need more power to tow the trailer.

History: The 4L60E failed in the Envoy after a long trip with the trailer. I swapped a used transmission in and then rebuilt the original 4L60E transmission and then swapped it back. (two years later).

So now the Envoy has it's original transmission in it but rebuilt and I have a good but long-used transmission on my bench. It was working fine when I pulled it but it's got too many miles to be installed again without a rebuild.

So now I've got a 06 Escalade that also uses a 4L60E (AWD) (RPO M32) and I'm wondering if it's the same as the Envoy unit on my bench. Could I rebuild this old Envoy unit and swap it into the Escalade?

M32 lists it as 4L60E HD, does the HD mean some of the internal gears are different? Is this where the 5 planet gears come into play or is that at the 4L65E level?

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Hi All

We've purchased a 06 Escalade and are selling the 05 Envoy. We just need more power to tow the trailer.

History: The 4L60E failed in the Envoy after a long trip with the trailer. I swapped a used transmission in and then rebuilt the original 4L60E transmission and then swapped it back. (two years later).

So now the Envoy has it's original transmission in it but rebuilt and I have a good but long-used transmission on my bench. It was working fine when I pulled it but it's got too many miles to be installed again without a rebuild.

So now I've got a 06 Escalade that also uses a 4L60E (AWD) (RPO M32) and I'm wondering if it's the same as the Envoy unit on my bench. Could I rebuild this old Envoy unit and swap it into the Escalade?

M32 lists it as 4L60E HD, does the HD mean some of the internal gears are different? Is this where the 5 planet gears come into play or is that at the 4L65E level?
EDIT: I just went out to the Envoy and it lists it's transmission as an M30.

So I guess the question is what's the difference between the M30 and M32 4L60Es?

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
In addition to understanding if/where/how the internals differ it would be interesting to know what option combo's it is associated with.

Last edited:

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Well I know that in my Escalade it's a LQ9 6.0 litre HO iron block with the M32 transmission, 3.73 ratio gears and the NR3 transfer case for AWD.

Sylgeist

Sep 14, 2019
Colorado
I don’t know if it applies to either of these vehicles, but they switched to having an input speed sensor (ISS if searching) that bit me when I tried to use an older 4L60E with a newer engine in a swap. Check the wiring diagram for the Escalade before you put in any hours on it.

Reactions: TJBaker57

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online