Anyone used these rear axle bearings with seal attached?

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I have always trusted Timken but I'm curious if anyone has tried these yet. These have the seal attached to the bearing itself and is a non-serviceable seal....if it leaks, you need to replace the whole bearing. The factory seal has the spring and is more flexible, the Timken is a more rigid seal.

The rollers are also smaller and perhaps they distribute the weight differently..not sure. Also, the cage is plastic but a hard plastic almost like a Rubbermaid cart.

What are your thoughts? Any experience or long-term tests?

Autozone didn't have them yesterday so I went and picked up bearing/seal install kit from HF today, then the bearings and I checked one of them in the parking lot and that's when I noticed the seal attached. Get them home and I look at the other bearing.....and somebody already installed it and probably used it...:mad::hissyfit:

You can see discoloration on the rollers but the shiny outer edge that's half-worn tipped me off. I may just go for the factory beaings despite being $6 more each but not sure.

Attachments

• 1113121609.jpg
    1113121609.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 1113121610f2.jpg
    1113121610f2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 3

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Almost every time I've seen those "axle repair" bearing+seal units used they leak, and it makes removing the axle again far more difficult (can't push the axle in as far to release the C clips).

I stick with the factory style seal and bearing separate and have had no issues that way. If the axle's bearing surface is worn then I replace the axle.

Timken makes OEM style bearings and seals, at least for most axles. I put Timken bearings and seals, OEM style, in my 10 bolt on my old car and they worked great.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Well in the defense of Autozone, the wear marks on the rollers seem to be slightly consistent with the sealed one, not as visible but both have a discoloration so perhaps it wasn't driven.

Either way, I didn't care for the fact it had scratches on it and the outer surface was clearly showing a ring of some sort. Thanks for the tips...I returned them and am going with the factory bearings. Having a more flexible seal would surely aid in axle removal.....didn't think of that and yeah, I was surprised to see such small rollers in there.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
CaptainXL said:
:iagree: Don't use anything cheaper than the Timken bearing and seals. Smaller roller bearings to me = :frown:

Forgot to mention....those were actually Timkens which is why I was surprised, not a chinese knock-off, made in USA. I called Timken and she said there is one part # for the GMT 360 rear axle, 8.0, 8.6, 9.5"...confirmed by the dealer... and that's the one I bought, and has the seal attached.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online

No members online now.