anyone ever try a 9006/9005 headlight conversion???

oh05ext

Original poster
Member
Dec 7, 2011
166
would anyone like me to do a write up on how to mod a 9005 bulb for use in your low beam housing???im running them in our TB and i like them much better than stock.
 

STLtrailbSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
1,617
I would love to see anything lol. What are the advantages? most people just run HIDs
 

oh05ext

Original poster
Member
Dec 7, 2011
166
you get to run a 65w bulb versus a 55w. and i honestly cant afford to mess with hid's.i would prefer to retrofit a projector when i go with an hid setup anyway.ill get some pictures up today if anyone cares.
 

Me007gold

Member
Nov 20, 2011
1,106
oh05ext said:
you get to run a 65w bulb versus a 55w. and i honestly cant afford to mess with hid's.i would prefer to retrofit a projector when i go with an hid setup anyway.ill get some pictures up today if anyone cares.

A couple of issues here. people who have 55w have had issues with melting the wiring harness, I would imagine 65w would have an even higher chance of that happening. If you cant afford $40 for a set of HID's how are you going to be able to afford the few hundred its going to cost to get the projectors?
 

gsf1200m

Member
Dec 15, 2011
55
I did this to my civic with no problems and better light output. Never did it to the trailblarzer.
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
Me007gold said:
A couple of issues here. people who have 55w have had issues with melting the wiring harness, I would imagine 65w would have an even higher chance of that happening. If you cant afford $40 for a set of HID's how are you going to be able to afford the few hundred its going to cost to get the projectors?

The stock 9006 bulbs are 55W already, the high beam 9005 bulbs are 65W, and the wiring in the housings to both sockets is the same. He won't run that much higher risk of melting the wires to the low beams with the 9005 than with the 9006. If it melts with the 9005, 95% chance it would have burned the connector with the 9006 anyway.

As for your last comment, it is called saving up the money :wink:
 

RayVoy

Member
Nov 20, 2011
939
oh05ext said:
would anyone like me to do a write up on how to mod a 9005 bulb for use in your low beam housing???im running them in our TB and i like them much better than stock.
I've never checked the bases of the 9005/9006 lamps, I assume they are different (so they can not be accidentally interchanged), and I assume, your mod removes material that prevents the 9005 from going into the 9006 socket.

And, this is fine, fill your boots......................................................but why????????????????

All you are now doing (as I see it), is the equivalent of having your high beams shining in other driver's faces when you have (what should be) the low beam lights lite.

Why not just leave the high beams on, either way, it's a violation
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
RayVoy said:
I've never checked the bases of the 9005/9006 lamps, I assume they are different (so they can not be accidentally interchanged), and I assume, your mod removes material that prevents the 9005 from going into the 9006 socket.

And, this is fine, fill your boots......................................................but why????????????????

All you are now doing (as I see it), is the equivalent of having your high beams shining in other driver's faces when you have (what should be) the low beam lights lite.

Why not just leave the high beams on, either way, it's a violation


The reflector in the low beam is quite a bit different from the high beam reflector, so even though the light will be brighter it will still be a low beam pattern, so it won't be like having the high beams on. Actually shoving a low beam bulb in the high beam socket would be worse than the high beam bulb in the low beam socket because of the reflector designs.

9006 bulbs have a cap on the end of them to cover the glaring hot spot of the filament, while 9005 bulbs do not, but the Trailblazers have a built-in cover anyway so there is very little glare to worry about there.

Frankly, putting HID in the low beams is worse than putting a 9005 bulb in there because the HID is even brighter and the focal point is different so it causes more glare. This is why I'm so against people putting HIDs in their otherwise stock housings.
 

oh05ext

Original poster
Member
Dec 7, 2011
166
i have my tsx projector retrofit from my old accord days so the hid stuff is available just no time to mess with it right now.the silverstars were my old lights before the retrofit.you have to cut/melt the lights but i cant take any pics now because of the freaking tornado warnings.its pretty easy to do actually.
 

RayVoy

Member
Nov 20, 2011
939
By Federal laws (yours and mine), High beam must be 65w, low must be 55w. And, I know, I know, who is going to check............

But, they (GE) do make upgrade bulbs, HIR bulbs. The 9006 replacement is a 9012, while the 9005 replacement is a 9011. They are the same wattage as the 5/6 lamps, but 80% brighter.

Just my :twocents: ,

oh05ext, sorry, did not intend to :hijack:
 

oh05ext

Original poster
Member
Dec 7, 2011
166
i didnt know the bases for the newer style bulbs would seal correctly.ill do my best to get some pictures this evening of how i modded the bulbs.now that springs here the small mods begin.
 

ItsOnVoy

Member
Nov 21, 2011
2,401
Sparky said:
The stock 9006 bulbs are 55W already, the high beam 9005 bulbs are 65W, and the wiring in the housings to both sockets is the same. He won't run that much higher risk of melting the wires to the low beams with the 9005 than with the 9006. If it melts with the 9005, 95% chance it would have burned the connector with the 9006 anyway.

As for your last comment, it is called saving up the money :wink:

Stock bulbs are 45w, that is what I had in my truck at least before I made the switch to silverstars which were 55w. But I never had my wires melt when I ran silverstars back then. But I had them for about 9 months, not sure if it takes more or if you have to drive the truck and have them on more also i dont know.
 

Trailshaman

Member
Dec 7, 2011
105
ive been runnin 9005 65w bulbs in both highs and lows for about 6 months with no problems. The bulbs in both are silverstar Zenon Hid Attitude bulbs.
I Know I know, why didnt you get just get HIDS well i got my bulbs for a good price basicaly buy one get one free:wootwoot: the output is great with this set up.
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
ItsOnVoy said:
Stock bulbs are 45w, that is what I had in my truck at least before I made the switch to silverstars which were 55w. But I never had my wires melt when I ran silverstars back then. But I had them for about 9 months, not sure if it takes more or if you have to drive the truck and have them on more also i dont know.

45W? Weird. 9006 bulbs are supposed to be 55W.
 

Short Bus

Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
I have Hellas and my wife has Silver Stars. I like the Hellas better. I got them from this seller. You can't beat the price!!!!

[EBAY]370594520979[/EBAY]
 

gmcman

Member
Dec 12, 2011
4,656
RayVoy said:
By Federal laws (yours and mine), High beam must be 65w, low must be 55w. And, I know, I know, who is going to check............

But, they (GE) do make upgrade bulbs, HIR bulbs. The 9006 replacement is a 9012, while the 9005 replacement is a 9011. They are the same wattage as the 5/6 lamps, but 80% brighter.

Just my :twocents: ,

oh05ext, sorry, did not intend to :hijack:

I would say if the intent of the OP is to have stronger low beams, then there should be no hijack intent. However since you mentioned them....I will say that I have the 9012 bulbs for my low and they are awesome. Much nicer than the crappy Silverstars that burn out before the end of the week. I have tried the PIAA but haven't used the Hella but the 9012 is very bright and very white.
 

RayVoy

Member
Nov 20, 2011
939
I haven't tried them, but with your recommendation, I think I'll pick up a set. :thumbsup:
 

gmcman

Member
Dec 12, 2011
4,656
I probably should have said much brighter and much whiter light but either case they are a definate improvement over the stockers.
 

blazinlow89

Member
Jan 25, 2012
2,088
Sparky said:
The reflector in the low beam is quite a bit different from the high beam reflector, so even though the light will be brighter it will still be a low beam pattern, so it won't be like having the high beams on. Actually shoving a low beam bulb in the high beam socket would be worse than the high beam bulb in the low beam socket because of the reflector designs.

Frankly, putting HID in the low beams is worse than putting a 9005 bulb in there because the HID is even brighter and the focal point is different so it causes more glare. This is why I'm so against people putting HIDs in their otherwise stock housings.

I do not see how the difference between an HID behind the a high beam bulb would be much of a difference to each other, due to the reflector cap. I ran the HID in both high and low beam, and the reflector gives a pretty decent pattern that does not scatter like freaking crazy.

I can see the reasons behind this mod, getting 4- 9005 bulbs for a discount price, being able to move the high beam bulb to the low beam position in a pinch.

I ran the Hella's on my old S-10 blazer and the light out put was pretty damn good, we returned the set of Silverstars we bought for the GF's VW. Going to do HID on that, alot more extensive than putting them on our vehicles. Now I am waiting for a set of H-1 HID bulbs for my new housings.
 

Ilikemy3s

Member
Dec 3, 2011
371
oh05ext said:
would anyone like me to do a write up on how to mod a 9005 bulb for use in your low beam housing???im running them in our TB and i like them much better than stock.

I would please
 

oh05ext

Original poster
Member
Dec 7, 2011
166
pics today i promise.i apologize for the delay but working 50 hr weeks kills me and on my days off i have my youngest son so not alot of tinkering time during the day.
 

oh05ext

Original poster
Member
Dec 7, 2011
166
im just gonna post this from my old stomping grounds on hondasociety...mods if this is a problem just let me know and ill rewrite and try to do get my own pics asap

Why using a 9005 bulb: 9005 bulbs are 65W and are not capped at the end, 9006 bulbs are 55W and have a cap at the end.
You have to slightly modify the 9005 bulb to fit the 9006 socket. Tim experimented with the Sylvania Cool Blue 65W 9005 ($15 ea) and was really happy with the bright light.
Light increase is from the increase in lumens from the 9005 bulb. A 9005 bulb has 70% more lumens than the 9006 (1700 lumens vs 1000 lumens). HID has 3200 lumens.



Procedure

* File or chisel tools.
* Sharp knife, blade, soldering iron or Dremel like tool
* 2 x 9005 bulbs.
* Protective glasses (you don't want to lose an eye) and gloves

1. Remove 3mm of plastic from the left of the center until you have 5-6mm of plastic left.

2. Remove the two guides inside the socket (I used a knife and a soldering iron). Install 2 or 3 O'rings from the old bulb in the new bulb to ensure a tight fit. ( didn't and it worked fine for me)

3. Install the bulbs in your car and have your light adjusted if not already.

heres a link to the original site we used with pictures
BMW E34 Website
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,442
Posts
639,384
Members
18,664
Latest member
SooMenn22

Members Online