Anyone changed to a different muffler on the Envoy?

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
I know this may sound strange, but I do not like the look of the large honkin' (stock) muffler that can be viewed from the back of my '03 Envoy. I'd like to get something that's far less visible, but not quite sure how a 4.2l will sound if I go that option...

I do not want louder, especially on a 6 cylinder. Although, I realize that I may not have much of a choice there. Basically try to get the same sound with a cleaner look. I can do my own welding, if needed.

Anyone have a sound clip with a smaller aftermarket muffler on a 4.2l?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree here??
...even better yet, Flame suit on???

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
The one your referring to is not actually a muffler but infact a resanator. Search the forum for trash can delete or resanator delete you should find what our looking for. Also you can search you tube and see what it sounds like with it removed.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Searching for "resonator delete" would be more fruitful. :wink:

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
Searching for "resonator delete" would be more fruitful. :wink:

Yeah what he said. :biggrin::wink:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
TangoBravo said:
Also you can search you tube and see what it sounds like with it removed.

The youtube videos sound a lot louder than it really is.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Short Bus said:
The youtube videos sound a lot louder than it really is.

I agree for sure^^. I have a subwoofer and stereo hooked up to laptop and youtube exhaust videos all sound like race cars, it is hard to judge by videos. My guess is you won't notice much difference. If you do think it is noisier you could always choose a resonating tip instead of a regular one. I'd cut er off!

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Ahh, that's why I couldn't find much info on it. I was looking for a "muffler mod".
And the name "trash can" is a great name for it!! I'll know what to use it for once it's removed :biggrin:

If it's just a resonator, I'll cut and weld a straight-through semi-chambered muffler in it's place, like this: 2530SB 2 5" Chambered Muffler | eBay

I'm assuming that it's a 2.5" pipe?

installing a new exhaust tip with a slightly different design will be nice too.

Thanks again for all of the help!!

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
hockeyman said:
Ahh, that's why I couldn't find much info on it. I was looking for a "muffler mod".
And the name "trash can" is a great name for it!! I'll know what to use it for once it's removed :biggrin:

If it's just a resonator, I'll cut and weld a straight-through semi-chambered muffler in it's place, like this: 2530SB 2 5" Chambered Muffler | eBay

I'm assuming that it's a 2.5" pipe?

installing a new exhaust tip with a slightly different design will be nice too.

Thanks again for all of the help!!

It's 2.75" I think...

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
It's 2.75" I think...

:yes: yep, it's 2.75" but the shop I had do mine (and some members) used 2.5" :redface:

matts04tbls

Oct 28, 2012
I did the trash can delete and it's not loud but it does offer a nice sporty tone everyone loves lol

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Just for curiosity, I ran a search on the OS for the earliest mention of the resonator as a "trash can" and so far, haven't found any reference before 2006. Anybody here have older data, or even a claim to have invented it?

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
Short Bus said:
:yes: yep, it's 2.75" but the shop I had do mine (and some members) used 2.5" :redface:

I used a 3" tip which fit nicely over the 2.75" stock pipe.

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Thanks for the info, everyone!

I'll look for a 2.75" delete kit, or muffler.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.