Anybody know Droid phones?

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So my wife upgraded her phone from the original Droid to the new Droid Razr M. The guy at the verizon store really didn't have much of a clue as it was the first one he's sold. The phone seems faster and more capable but I can not get her yahoo mail account to work. All your supposed to do is click the add acount icon, select yahoo mail as the brand of email you want to use and put in your yahoo password. Should be simple as that as it has been with every other phone. The problem is the phone syncs with yahoo and will only show the same three emails from last month and nothing more. When your in the yahoo email on the phone that the phone thinks is synced and is supposed to be pushing in real time you the phone can send an email but can't receive any and you can't even send an email to the yahoo account to test it as it won't receive it. This one is baffeling me since it is such a no brainer. Anybody have any ideas?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I know for my Android based Phone (Samsung Galaxy S), yahoo mail is an actual app from the google play store... then once you download the app, you set everything up... don't know if that's the same with the Droid's, but that's how mine works...

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
I use the email app that came with my phone and use it for several web based email addresses. I don't know which one you're using, but as far as I know, mine doesn't alert me when email comes in immediately. It checks for new mail at a specified time interval in the settings and when I sign in.

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
If you download the yahoo app it goes through sync setup process, it alerts me on emails faster then my computer most of the time. Only use it for my junk mail ie Craigslist ect. Would definitely suggest getting a Gmail works so much better with the phone.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You actually can't have an Android phone without a gmail account to administer your apps. IIRC.

I found the Yahoo app buggy, so I just added a yahoo account as a regular random email account. Only drawback is then you have to manually enter the SMTP server name and port number. I prefer doing that so I can confirm the port has security enabled properly.

DucatiSS

Nov 19, 2011
I used to use K-9 for my link to my work e-mail, but it kept giving me send errors so I switched to MailDroid. I love it and it works like a charm with all email providers.

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
You actually can't have an Android phone without a gmail account to administer your apps. IIRC.

I found the Yahoo app buggy, so I just added a yahoo account as a regular random email account. Only drawback is then you have to manually enter the SMTP server name and port number. I prefer doing that so I can confirm the port has security enabled properly.

Yeah its funny, when we went to upgrade her phone/re-up for 2 more years, they needed her gmail password that she set up with the first Droid 2 years back and never used. I don't get exactly why you need a gmail account but you do. We've just had the same family yahoo email address since back in college way back when that everybody has.

I went ahead and used the smtp server/port number method and got it to work. Now I've got to figure out how to get her text messages from her old phone to the new one as she has some sentimental last texts from her cousin that was killed in a car accident recently and a lot of business texts.

Its funny I've got the iphone 4s as it is my work issued phone so no choice and she has this new droid as she is the President of her own company and can choose and the droid is in a completely different league.

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
Theyvhave apps in the play store sms (text) back up, you can either save them to micro sd card and put on new phone or download and save to pc. Use it all the time when I switched phones.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
You need the Gmail to basically register you and your phone with Google, it keeps backups of your apps, data, contacts etc. Like Roadie said you need a Gmail account to get apps. Of course you can always side load apps. Turn on allow 3rd party apps, and you can install from the SD card. On the other side you need an iTunes account for the apple.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
the reason you have to have a gmail account, is that android based phones use gmail accounts to manage all the info. It's kind of like signing into facebook on a laptop, when you sync your phone with the gmail account, all of your contacts etc are also synched to the phone. If you logout, and sync a phone with another account, it's like signing out of facebook and letting a buddy sign in. Same laptop, two different accounts, depending on the login/password, or in the phone's case, gmail account and password.
Though I have to say I'm a big fan of the way Verizon lets you change numbers between phgone with MEID numbers, not sure if any other carrier allows for this, but combined with the ease of gmail account swaps, it's quite nice to be in (near) total control of whatever device you want.

as for the email...I prefer the mail app that comes with android os over the ones from the app store (I'll never be able to call it that new name lol) it takes a bit longer to setup, but worth it imo. Also, it seems to sync better for me.
Hope it helps...

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
My current Bionic had to be taken to Verizon so I could get a new SIM card programmed. Other wise I could not get the phone to work.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
My current Bionic had to be taken to Verizon so I could get a new SIM card programmed. Other wise I could not get the phone to work.

really? the sim card should only be for the 4G network, not the actual mobile connection. Unless the phone detects an error with the 4G network and disables it entirely, not sure, but I don't think so.

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I wondered about the google account because none of her contacts or apps transferred to the new phone which again made us scratch our head since we obviously had to use her existing google account from her other droid we replaced. We bought the phone basically at store closing Saturday and so got the rush treatment all the way around. It is a suprising pain in the ass and lengthy process to re-up your plan with a new phone. It was over an hour to get the new phone up and running.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Jkust said:
I wondered about the google account because none of her contacts or apps transferred to the new phone which again made us scratch our head since we obviously had to use her existing google account from her other droid we replaced. We bought the phone basically at store closing Saturday and so got the rush treatment all the way around. It is a suprising pain in the ass and lengthy process to re-up your plan with a new phone. It was over an hour to get the new phone up and running.

it may be that she didn't have her contacts saved to the gmail account...go yo the contacts and create a new one, you'll be prompted to choose between: Phone, Sim and Gmail...if you don't choose gmail, th contact info will be sired locally on the phone, or on removable storage (the sim card)

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
If you still have the old phone put the SD card in. Click on contacts, than press the menu button. Look for export contacts to SD. It will create a vcf. File you can import the file to the new phone.

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
If you still have the old phone put the SD card in. Click on contacts, than press the menu button. Look for export contacts to SD. It will create a vcf. File you can import the file to the new phone.

Similar to this, but in the past I found it easy to pair the 2 phones via bluetooth, and in that case the contacts/texts and I believe pictures were automatically transferred to the new phone. Maybe another route to try....

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Didnt read the whole thread, so I apologize (wife yelling at me to go to bed)...

However, when I updated my Samsung Galaxy S2 to ICS, using the yahoo mail inside the provided email client no longer works. I think this was done on purpose, and you are supposed to use the Yahoo app now. I prefer the Yahoo app, its quicker then the preloaded email app.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
What I do know is mine updated to Ver. 4.0.4 yesterday and it's the biggest PITA now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.