Any reason I COULDN'T install/wire up power seats in my LS?

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Before I get too crazy about searching for the seats, any technical reasons it wouldn't work?

Seems like controls are on the seat itself, 'cept the heater switches, which I don't have to have. Is the rear seat fuse panel otherwise ready to go, would you expect?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Some of the wiring harnesses are standard to almost all the trucks. It's possible the connector is there and just needs the fuse installed in the fuse box.
:undecided: If so, it would be PNP.

xj2202009

Mar 27, 2012
I would check the manual for fuse# and check with volt meter, worse scenario run the power right from the fuse box post and use an inline fuse.:undecided:

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
xj2202009 said:
I would check the manual for fuse# and check with volt meter, worse scenario run the power right from the fuse box post and use an inline fuse.:undecided:

Manual says power seats run through a 30A breakers labeled .... wait for it ..... "seats"

My vehicle has this breaker.

There are connectors under these seats, and there are sensors / circuits for seat belt connected/disconnected, and whether or not the passenger seat is occupied.

I can't tell by the manual, though, which connectors are for which part ... but could it really be PNP??

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
And then, in the unit underneath the rear passenger seat, there are four spots for connectors, J1, J2, J3, and J4. Only J1 and J2 are occupied. It looks like the wiring from under the front seats runs under the carpet to these connectors.

Gotta walk the dog, then I'll take another look at wiring diagrams.

Unless somebody happens to know for sure .....

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
i would almost be surprised if they WEREN'T PNP. My 06 LS came with the power driver's seat

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
SBUBandit said:
i would almost be surprised if they WEREN'T PNP. My 06 LS came with the power driver's seat

OK, so now what I'm trying to figure out is WHERE to plug and play. I look at the wiring diagrams for the power seats, but I don't understand them very well. How do I find the connector that comes after the 30A seat fuse? What is the module under the passenger back seat?

Thanks if you know.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
I had manual seats originally, then got SS seats.

Wire harness was different, so my buudy just snipped 2 wires on the harness for power and ground.

Power with wire from rear fuse box with an inline fuse and ground to body.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I'm sure there are others with more experience in this type of stuff, but if it were me I'd probably throw a fuse in that seat fuse spot, and slide the seat out of the way and use a multimeter to check the plug under the seat for power. If it's got power, then you just need a seat.:thumbsup:

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
rmsg0040 said:
I had manual seats originally, then got SS seats.

Wire harness was different, so my buudy just snipped 2 wires on the harness for power and ground.

Power with wire from rear fuse box with an inline fuse and ground to body.

Really! Where did you find seats, and what did they run you? Got a picture or two of the wiring?

SBUBandit said:
I'm sure there are others with more experience in this type of stuff, but if it were me I'd probably throw a fuse in that seat fuse spot, and slide the seat out of the way and use a multimeter to check the plug under the seat for power. If it's got power, then you just need a seat.:thumbsup:

Here's what I probably didn't make clear already: the 30A breaker is already in the truck, and the connectors already are doing "stuff" like the seat belt circuit.

So it looks like it's real close to ready to rock, from what rmsg0040 says.

Could stand to get and learn how to use the multimeter, though.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
Paid 380 off kijiji (free canadian classified site, similar to craigslist).

Had to travel 2 hours for it.

Super easy to install.

Run an inline 30A fuse from the power wire in the rear fuse box.
Crimp a butt connector on 1 end.
On the other place 2 wires in the butt connector and crimp.
On the SS harness cut the orange wire and connect to 1 wire from the butt connector.
Do that for the other seat.
For ground cut the black wire on the harness.
Run 2 wires and connect via a butt connector.
Then ground the other side.

IMAG0678.jpg

IMAG0676.jpg

IMAG0677.jpg

HPIM0683.jpg

Hope this helps

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Wow! That's fantastic! Thanks much!

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Yea, even if the plugs dont work all you would need is a power and ground. The controls are in the seat as well as the brains. Dont see why it would pose a problem.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online