Antifreeze smell inside?

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
I have a mild antifreeze smell inside and the coolant level in the reservoir dropped to empty on a 1000 mile road trip. Is there any other likely cause than the heater core? 180K km. Is there a second heater core?

I'm in the middle of the road trip. Any temporary solutions or can I just leave it be until I get back home?

How long is the standard labour time to change the heater core? In my last vehicle I think it was 6 or 8 hours.

tricguy007

Dec 7, 2011
U have an EXT so yes u have 2 heater cores a front and a rear look under the pass. Side and see if u have any leakage on the lines running to the rear, look under the dash an see if the carpet is wet if so u have a bad front core check the radiator cap for leakage that were mine was leaking

May 22, 2012
TonyT said:
I have a mild antifreeze smell inside and the coolant level in the reservoir dropped to empty on a 1000 mile road trip. Is there any other likely cause than the heater core? 180K km. Is there a second heater core?

I'm in the middle of the road trip. Any temporary solutions or can I just leave it be until I get back home?

How long is the standard labour time to change the heater core? In my last vehicle I think it was 6 or 8 hours.

in the past i have disconnected the heater hoses from the firewall and connected them to a pipe nipple to bypass the heater core to get home from a trip.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online