Amplifier Power Wire question and Door Speaker issues

Dillyo82

Original poster
Aug 17, 2012
Is it best to run the wire directly from the Battery under the hood, or is it better/as good to run from the Driver's side Rear fuse box under the seat?
I did a search, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have the wire going from the Battery now, but was thinking of doing a custom Fiberglass Stealth Box Speaker on the Passenger side eventually, but then the Power wire wouldn't reach because it's on the Driver's side and ends long enough to make it to the Driver's Rear.

Oh and I also have issues with my door speakers cutting in and out. All but my Pass. Front have intermittent cutting in/out issues with my rears not working 98% of the time. I figure the easiest/first thing I could do is change the Head Unit with the OEM and go from there, checking the harness while it's out. The last thing I want to do is take the door panels off until I buy new speakers to do an upgrade.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
people will tell you two different things if you dont have a "big" system you would honestly be alright getting it from the fuse box but me honestly would keep it on the battery just to be safe

and i know from reading on here the factory speakers are JUNK

Dillyo82

Original poster
Aug 17, 2012
Quick Response!

Yeah, I figured. Just thought I ask. Thanks. Maybe I'll do a slim box that hugs the back seat & fires down to protect it from stroller and grocery attacks.:undecided:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Black_tb said:
people will tell you two different things if you dont have a "big" system you would honestly be alright getting it from the fuse box but me honestly would keep it on the battery just to be safe

and i know from reading on here the factory speakers are JUNK

:iagree:

i wouldnt exceed 250-500W running your power wire from the rear fuse block... alot of people run their amps to power their highs from that rear post... anything over 500W, you should be going from the battery...

and provided nothing is wrong with your factory amp (if you have BOSE), or your wiring/factory stereo, when speakers start popping and crapping out like that.. almost all of us upgrade at that point... i only let one of my door speakers go out before i made the swap to components in all of my doors... havent looked back since..

Dillyo82

Original poster
Aug 17, 2012
Boricua SS said:
:iagree:

i wouldnt exceed 250-500W running your power wire from the rear fuse block... alot of people run their amps to power their highs from that rear post... anything over 500W, you should be going from the battery...

and provided nothing is wrong with your factory amp (if you have BOSE), or your wiring/factory stereo, when speakers start popping and crapping out like that.. almost all of us upgrade at that point... i only let one of my door speakers go out before i made the swap to components in all of my doors... havent looked back since..

I don't have a BOSE...but it would be pretty cool if I did! Which Components did you install...Size...any mods to make them fit? I would like to set-up a separate amp for highs, so maybe then I'll use the base Fuse Block.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Dillyo82 said:
I don't have a BOSE...but it would be pretty cool if I did! Which Components did you install...Size...any mods to make them fit? I would like to set-up a separate amp for highs, so maybe then I'll use the base Fuse Block.

ehh... be glad you dont have BOSE :crackup:... some people love theirs, others.. not so much...

and i have 6.5 AutoTek components in all 4 doors (if you look on my profile albums, you will see my door components and how i mounted the tweeters, etc...)... no modifications needed for mine, just had to take the factory speaker out of the factory pod, and install the new ones, i did cut the factory harness since aftermarket speakers dont come with vehicle specific plugs.. but that was it.. i do believe 6.5 fit in all year GMT360's, some need a little moding, and some are just direct replacements...

Dillyo82

Original poster
Aug 17, 2012
My Back Speakers must be bigger than the front because they have more Bass to them. 6.5" all four should sound just right...especially components. I'll check your pics out.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Ran 750rms off rear fuse through 4AWG in my LT. My SS system is way to big for that. but It did work fine w/no issues just put a fuse between it you can also steal a remote ign from back there. Components I have Boston&Alpine. Have had great expirience with Kicker and I have seen some amazing sounds come from RE AUDIO

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
Dillyo82 said:
My Back Speakers must be bigger than the front because they have more Bass to them. 6.5" all four should sound just right...especially components. I'll check your pics out.

Same size speaker through all four 6.5". The reason you might be hearing more bass from the back is that there isn't a tweeter back there like there is in the front.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
STLtrailbSS said:
I have seen some amazing sounds come from RE AUDIO

Amen to that... I've only heard there subs... damn do they thump!!!

anthonyl79

Jul 15, 2012
Colorado
I have 6.5" Bostons in the fron and running factory in the rear. I have not had an issue with the rears at this point. The High's amp (400W)is running from the rear fuse block, and then have a Kenwood sub running on an 800W Sony amp. The Sony amp is coming from the battery direct. The other thing that I did was installed a Ultima Yellow Top. Was having issues with draw on the alternator and the lights would dim, from the amp and the stupid air pump.

ksimm92

Apr 28, 2012
I too would recommend running it from the battery, I ran a 0g wire just to be safe.

replaced all my stock speakers with 6.5" alpine type-s, I love them, great sound quality.:thumbsup: They are 80 watts rms I believe. I have all 4 door speakers running off a rockford fosgate punch amp.

I also added 4" alpine type-s's under the dash in front of the shifter, they are powered by a smaller alpine amp. I think they are 45 watts rms.

View attachment 22429

I am thinking about trading in the TB for a silverado next year sometime, and can't even imagine going back to a stock sound system :eek:

Attachments

• 2010-07-30 20.03.35.jpg
    2010-07-30 20.03.35.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 16

Gump2773

Feb 21, 2012
Boricua SS said:
Amen to that... I've only heard there subs... damn do they thump!!!

I will second that! I really want to hear a set of components from them. I need 2 sets. :thumbsup:

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
you know i never thought about the power from the back seat compartment. but after reading this that is where ill draw the power for the toggle switch for the amp control wire when adding a system in phantom. That way when the kids are in the truck i can shut the sub off.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online