Alternator whine in stereo???

New Envoy

Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Ok, heres the story. Went to the lake yesterday, on the way down everything was fine. Got ready to go home, packed evrything up, started it up, and I could hear the alternator whining through the speakers! Its never done that before. We just turned the stereo off and figured I would check into it when we got home. About half way home the GF tried the stereo again and it was still there. So she started playing with the dome lights, turning off the stereo, adjusting the blower fan speed, all trying to get the whine to quit, nothing helped. Then, all of a sudden, it just quit. It did quit as she was moving around in her seat (passenger). And hasnt done it the rest of the way home. Anybody got any ideas?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You probably have a loose ground. Try checking the splice pack at the bottom of the radio stack on the passenger side first. It's behind the carpet panel here...

IMAG0476.jpg

IMAG0474.jpg

New Envoy

Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
First of all, THANKS FOR THE REPLY!!!!

Second, I found the wire pack in your pic. It was already tight. I did get a little bit more on it, but not enough to matter.

signalnc

Dec 28, 2012
+ 2 on the bad ground. that's probably what it is.....are you running any electrical accessories, such as a power inverter, cb, etc?

New Envoy

Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
No, the only thing "extra" was the daughters Ipod charger. But we even unplugged that trying to figure out what it was. It didn't help anything, but we tried!

signalnc

Dec 28, 2012
i would say there's an issue with that wire (ground) somewhere. I would trace it back to the radio to make sure it's connected and there is no breaks/cuts in it.

the noise --is it in all the speakers?

New Envoy

Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Not sure if its in all the speakers or not, I was driving and it was hard to tell. But, it did seem to be coming from the rear drivers side.

signalnc

Dec 28, 2012
if it's in all the speakers, the problem is the radio/radio ground....if it's only in one speaker it could be the speaker

New Envoy

Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Ok, I know its been a while since I started this, but its still there. Before, It only happened like once a week, for a couple of minutes. Now its like once a day. And, since its happening more often now, I can track it down easier! I did narrow it down to the drivers side rear door speaker.

Now, my thought is, take both rear door speakers out and switch them. If the sound switches sides, then it must be the speaker. If it dosent, then check the wiring. Does that seem like a logical road to be going down? Or does anybody have any better/other ideas??

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Sounds like a good place to start. Is your radio stock, or aftermarket? If it was aftermarket, I would also say to check the wiring at the radio harness for the left rear speaker. May not hurt to investigate there next anyway, if it turns out to not be the speaker.

New Envoy

Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Sorry, stock stereo. I wonder if it would do any good to just add a "extra" ground to the speaker? Just open up the door pannel, take the speaker out, run another wire from the neg, side of the speaker to a ground, then put it back together. That way, even if the factory ground is bad, it will still be grounded.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: Actually, you might want to check the wires in the rubber boot between the body and door. The flexing from the door opening and closing, may have damaged the speaker ground wire in there, and that could be causing your problem more likely than an issue at the radio.

bedbug

Dec 5, 2011
Have you checked the alternator operation and wiring connections? especially when the noise is present?

New Envoy

Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Actually bedbug, yes I have. The battery went dead in it about three weeks ago. Thought maybe that replacing the battery with a new one would magically fix the problem with the whine, WRONG! But I also had the shop check the alternator while they had it, everything was fine. And when the whine is happening, the volt gauge shows 14 volts, just like always.

New Envoy

Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Ok, took both speakers out, checked the wires at the door jambs, swapped the speakers around, and put everything back together. Went for a test drive, and so far so good. Now, since I didnt really fix anything, Im not expecting it to be fixed, but will just have to wait and see where the whining sound comes from.

motordaddye6

Feb 12, 2013
im havin the same issue with my 2007 envoy denali -----seem when you move the center con sole assy it goes away ----the reason I know this cause I was drivin with my wife ---its her vehicle and suddenly she pounds on counsel I said wtf and she explained about whing in speakers goin to investigate this week ---hope its a ground any other ideas? ty -------sarge:thumbsup:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I had the "whine" noise thru the speakers too. Finally got pissed cuz it was so bad smacked the center console broke the damn latch and poof went away. Ordered the latch and all is good. Lol. Its a love-hate relationship.

New Envoy

Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Guess its time for an update. After I swapped sides with the speakers, "I" haven't heard it at all. However the girlfriend did hear it once and only for a very short time, maybe 5 seconds. But when she did hear it she thought it came from the passenger side this time. She leaned on the console to kinda turn and hear it better, and the sound went away. So, to me, its kinda sounding like something in the console area. Is there another ground under there or something?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I wanna say there's another splice pack at the rear of the middle console, on the passenger side. I don't have any pics of it though.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Lots of guys say theres a ground in the rear entertainment center. BUT I don't wanna tear things apart cuz when I do they tend not to go together again...:raspberry:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online