Alternator question

Black LT

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I've been told I wonder too much.
Our trucks have the hot wire from the alternator directly to the battery.
Some people - usually audio people - put a fuse in between when they redo the wiring.
I've been told that unlike in older vehicles where it did no harm, you shouldn't disconnect the battery while the vehicle is running - it can burn up the diodes in the alternator.
So, suppose it's improperly fused and the fuse blows. Is the alternator going to burn up?
Or is it just when the alternator is hooked to the vehicle without the battery as a 'buffer'.
I guess the basic question is - will you smoke an alternator by running it not hooked up.

No, I'm not having a problem (other than the obvious!) - the question just came to me and I researched for a few hours and hate not knowing!

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
I don't think you will break any thing by disconnecting the battery while the truck is running. I stripped a positive terminal bolt one night, couldn't get it to stay in. I figured once I got it started it would stay running w/o the battery, so I jumped it with a pack. It started right up. I pulled out of a nice lighted, safe parking lot, drove 3 blocks and the entire truck shut off. No lights, no motor, thank god the brakes are hydraulic. Pulled it to the side and called a friend for help. Went to farm and fleet and got a bolt assortment, found an adequate bolt and connected the terminal. Made it home. Next day replaced battery and terminal bolt. Has worked fine since. I have the original alternator, and mine is an 04' with 157k.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Our voltage regulator is built into the alternator and the old urban legends no longer apply. It's still not a good idea because certain peak loads like window motors can droop the voltage faster than the alternator can adjust, and the battery smooths out those droops.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online