Alternator difference between 2005 and 2007 TB

santon

Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Israel
My alternator died on the road. I left the truck on the parking lot near the job, about 50 km away from home. There are local companies that can repair my old alternator during 1-1.5 h but they want me to bring the old alternator, and this makes the repair complicated (disassembly, driving to the repairer, waiting for the repair, driving back again, and assembly). So I wanted to buy another alternator and simply swap them on the parking lot. I found and bought the 2007 unit. The problem is that 2007 alternator is slightly different form the 2005 one. The 2005 unit has a wide, 4 pin control connector but only 2 pins are used. The 2007 unit has a 2 pin connector. On a 2005 TB, the control signals to the alternator are arriving directly from the PCM, while on 2005 TB these signals are arriving from the special "charging control module" placed on the negative battery cable. This module is measuring the current and has a connection to the serial data network.. In terms of wire colors and the name of the signals on diagrams, they are similar between the years: "GENERATOR TURN ON SIGNAL" and "GENERATOR FIELD DUTY CYCLE SIGNAL". Is there any difference between these two setups, besides the connector? I want to swap the alternator tomorrow morning. Can I put the 2007 alternator on a 2005 truck and simply splice the connector? As I understood, the "GENERATOR TURN ON SIGNAL" is a PWM signal but I am not sure whether the voltage and the duty cycle are the same between the years.

Dr.Fiero

Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
For the PITA it is to get the alt's on and off on the 4.2 (5.3's are easy!), I'd just throw a jump pack on for added reserve capacity, and drive it home. Then get the correct alternator repaired and put on.

Stay off the brakes, disable the auto headlights, turn off the stereo and all HVAC. 50km's in a short trip! Just did this a few months back for a buddy.

Reactions: santon

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
2007 alt won't work on the 2005 and vice versa. The 2007 uses a SARVC type regulator whereas the 2005 doesn't.

Reactions: MAY03LT and santon

santon

Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Israel
2007 alt won't work on the 2005 and vice versa. The 2007 uses a SARVC type regulator whereas the 2005 doesn't.
This is valuable information. I already wanted to put in the alternator from 2007. I finally found a proper alternator for 2005 and replaced my old one. Thank you!

Reactions: Mooseman

santon

Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Israel
For the PITA it is to get the alt's on and off on the 4.2 (5.3's are easy!), I'd just throw a jump pack on for added reserve capacity, and drive it home. Then get the correct alternator repaired and put on.

Stay off the brakes, disable the auto headlights, turn off the stereo and all HVAC. 50km's in a short trip! Just did this a few months back for a buddy.
I was not brave enough to do that. These are only 50 km, but the traffic is often bad, so I was afraid to do that this time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonu

Members Online