Airbag light on 2002 TB

Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I have a 2002 with an airbag light on. I have searched a few threads (on the other forum and then was informed about the mass exodus) and it seems that there is no good way to determine what the reason code is other than the stealership scanning it. I have replaced a clock spring on a Ford product and i knew it was a clock spring because the light would flash X times on the dash on startup, looked in the book and easy diagnostics. I was hopeful that this was the same on the Chevy TB because it flashed about 6-7 times but looks like that is the default procedure and then goes on or off if it is good or bad.

If anybody has found a better way let me know, I also have found that the clock spring is a common reason of failure so if someone can point me to the best source (if thats what it ends up being) that would be appreciated. Thanks

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
The absolute only way to diagnose a GM airbag problem is with a scan tool that is able to read the SRS or Body codes. Other than that you can check on the sensors on the floor to see if they have gotten wet and are corroded and all the connections to make sure they are securely attached. There have been issues in the past with door sensors on the vehicles with side air bags. Other than that I have only seen actual air bag modules go bad, usually the drivers bag. And alot of times the controller on the floor will get submerged and fail or corrode and fail.

Really you are safest to bite the bullet and get the code read at the stealership.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012

Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Hey thanks guys for the feedback, i had the post on the other forum for days with no reply LOL.... Guess I know why!

So thanks for the info! I do all my own work so i have not had a car in the shop for over 10 years, what should I expect to pay for a scan for a dealership or a good private shop?

i am not a ford (lincoln) fan but the diagnostic blink was nice and replacing clock spring was not too bad! too bad GM didnt adopt that!

This is actually ironic timing for me, I had a 2002 TB in really good shape, bought it 2 years ago for the wife and loved it. 2 weeks ago an old man smashed it and totaled it. having a good time dealing with insurance on this :crazy::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit:

So a friend who has almost the exact same car down to the options and color just put hers for sale and offered us for what i think is a really good deal. really clean and drives great just this one thing that the airbag light is on, so i am trying to decide if it really is as good of a deal if you know what i mean

I also am just finishing a full chassis race car build, my engine of choice..... vortec 4200 of course :smile:

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Most places that I'm familiar with charge one hour of labor to scan, generally not charged if they do the repair. For that price plus a little more, you could buy your own tool that reads ABS and SRS codes. I think Roadie mentioned one that he has. Gonna look for that one myself.

Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
McGMT said:
The absolute only way to diagnose a GM airbag problem is with a scan tool that is able to read the SRS or Body codes. Other than that you can check on the sensors on the floor to see if they have gotten wet and are corroded and all the connections to make sure they are securely attached. There have been issues in the past with door sensors on the vehicles with side air bags. Other than that I have only seen actual air bag modules go bad, usually the drivers bag. And alot of times the controller on the floor will get submerged and fail or corrode and fail.

Really you are safest to bite the bullet and get the code read at the stealership.

I will get it scanned, but i guess i should check the connectors etc as you said first, but i dont have a factory service manual. i looked in the repair manual but it was no help. If you could point me to the general area i will have a look at least for any obvious problems.

As far as buying a scan tool i would be open to suggestions if somebody has a recommendations. I dont have one that reads body codes.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.