Air Springs Suggested Sticky for Consideration

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
I realize there are several components within the Air Spring systems but there is one particular component that is exposed to road hazards and stress and all plastic. The ride height sensors, one for each side, do fail and when they do the rear end of the vehicle sinks abnormally low and is most obvious even from casual observation. If either sensor arm snaps, the air springs will not work. The sensor arms are plastic and this is the point of failure. On my 2006 Denali, both sensors final broke after almost 18 years. The first one last year then the second one last month. Rather than R&R with standard springs, the sensors are readily available and under $90 each. Super easy to replace (15 min). This repair is chap and effective assuming the compressor is still functioning. Just hoping to save others from misdiagnosis and spring replacement.

Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Are the sensors still available from GM or are they aftermarket?

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Only aftermarket as far as I know. The death of these, at least for the ones that were on my vehicle which I believe were OEM is impact from road debris.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I believe were OEM is impact from road debris.
Check this out....even Bentleys have this problem, there is a good source for air ride parts mentioned in the video.

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Check this out....even Bentleys have this problem, there is a good source for air ride parts mentioned in the video.
Yep, the part in the Bentley looks quite similar to the sensors on the GMC system. The beautiful thing with this fix is the little effort required and the low cost of the replacement sensors compared to a conversion to steel springs. The R&R price quote to me was $700. The sensor prices for new replacement vary a little on Ebay. When the first sensor broke it cost me around $70. The second one was $90, but they look identical.

Attachments

• IMG_0468.jpeg
    IMG_0468.jpeg
    571.1 KB · Views: 2

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online