Air Ride to Spring Conversion Questions

02Olds

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
I'm looking to convert to spring suspension when I drop my 2005 Rainier this summer and I just have a question about it.

First of all, I was recommended a kit by Norcal SS, thank you for that by the way, which includes:
TBSSowners.com Store - Belltech Street Perf. Shocks/Springs Combo (Powered by CubeCart)
TBSSowners.com Store - NORCAL SS'S Modified Trailblazer Upper A -Arms Without Lowering Mounts (Powered by CubeCart)
TBSSowners.com Store - DJM Trailblazer Rear Swaybar (Powered by CubeCart)

If I delete the air suspension, will I still be able to use the compressor in the back? I'm a huge BMX bike rider and the air compressor has saved me countless times with tire pressure on my bike. I use it nearly every time I ride, as I need 110psi in my tires or the bike feels strange.

Also, since I've never done this on one of these vehicles before, I was looking for step by step instructions for the procedure. Are there any threads out there explaining from here or the old site? I've been searching but haven't found much.

Thanks!
02olds

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Yes you can keep compressor...and its easy as shit to replace. Jack up the ass end. Using 2 jack stands hold up the vehicle. Using jack..jack up the rear pumpkin. Take off shocks then drop the pumpkin and take out bags and then put new springs in. Jack up the pumpkin again and put shocks back on.

02Olds

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
jrSS said:
Yes you can keep compressor...and its easy as shit to replace. Jack up the ass end. Using 2 jack stands hold up the vehicle. Using jack..jack up the rear pumpkin. Take off shocks then drop the pumpkin and take out bags and then put new springs in. Jack up the pumpkin again and put shocks back on.

Thank you! Do I just tie off the ends of the lines to the bags so they don't leak?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
You just adjust the sensors so the compressor stays off. And I dont even think you need to "tie of the lines" and when the compressor is needed just turn it on.

timg

Sep 9, 2012
The compressor has three separate outlets, one for each rear shock and one for the inflator. I dropped my compressor and removed the two fittings for the lines going to the rear air springs. This deflated the springs and made removing them super easy. Do this before you jack up the rear end. I covered the ends of the lines with some duct tape. Once the rear springs were in, I reattached the lines to the compressor because I didn't want to get dirt/contaminants inside it. Set aside a day for doing it since there may be a few things you struggle with (like disconnecting the lines from the air springs). Once you've done it once, you could probably do it again in under 1 hr. Note that my sensors are connected to the upper control arm, but the electrical connections are unplugged, secured out of the way, and covered.

Tim

NORCAL SS

Dec 4, 2011
02Olds said:
I'm looking to convert to spring suspension when I drop my 2005 Rainier this summer and I just have a question about it.

First of all, I was recommended a kit by Norcal SS, thank you for that by the way, which includes:
TBSSowners.com Store - Belltech Street Perf. Shocks/Springs Combo (Powered by CubeCart)
TBSSowners.com Store - NORCAL SS'S Modified Trailblazer Upper A -Arms Without Lowering Mounts (Powered by CubeCart)
TBSSowners.com Store - DJM Trailblazer Rear Swaybar (Powered by CubeCart)

If I delete the air suspension, will I still be able to use the compressor in the back? I'm a huge BMX bike rider and the air compressor has saved me countless times with tire pressure on my bike. I use it nearly every time I ride, as I need 110psi in my tires or the bike feels strange.

Also, since I've never done this on one of these vehicles before, I was looking for step by step instructions for the procedure. Are there any threads out there explaining from here or the old site? I've been searching but haven't found much.

Thanks!
02olds

yes you can still use the compressor in rear all you need to do is adjust the levelers on the frame to the lowest position. ALso install is very easy you can call me and I will walk you thru it.

02Olds

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks for the info everyone! Just saving up for the parts now. Should be lowered by mid-summer.

Charley12

Mar 23, 2013
To hot another point in the conversion. If I buy a conversion that is meant for an SS will it give me SS ride height on my Envoy?

02Olds

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Charley12 said:
To hot another point in the conversion. If I buy a conversion that is meant for an SS will it give me SS ride height on my Envoy?

To the best of my knowledge, the SS has air ride. If your Envoy has air ride, you can level the rear suspension to lower it to the height of an SS and put SS front springs in to get the height of it in the front.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
02Olds said:
... If your Envoy has air ride, you can level the rear suspension to lower it to the height of an SS ...
I think just rotating the sensors will do it, but perhaps the SS has shorter shocks?

NORCAL SS

Dec 4, 2011
the 3 inch drop springs will drop a trailblazer ss about 1.5 from factory and a regular trailblazer 3 inches. So by doing the rear spring conversion you will have a truck that sits 1.5 inches lower than a stock trailblazer ss.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online