Air pump runs too much

BuckeyeEvan

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
I replaced the not-so-old air bags (55k) thinking that was the reason why the air pump was running frequently.
well no dice.
The air pump runs about 15-25 seconds after start up and if I sit in the drive it will run 15 seconds every 3 minutes or so.

any ideas????
hose leak?
pump leak? (is there such a thing?)

at least I can say; after I replaced the bags, my car no longer lists to one side :thumbsup: (seemed like in it was lower about 1" on the passenger side)

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
BuckeyeEvan said:
I replaced the not-so-old air bags (55k) thinking that was the reason why the air pump was running frequently.
well no dice.
The air pump runs about 15-25 seconds after start up and if I sit in the drive it will run 15 seconds every 3 minutes or so.

any ideas????
hose leak?
pump leak? (is there such a thing?)

at least I can say; after I replaced the bags, my car no longer lists to one side :thumbsup: (seemed like in it was lower about 1" on the passenger side)

I had that on my Buick Rendezvous...best fix. Trade it in :biggrin:

Them air bags are PITA!!!

BuckeyeEvan

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
I replaced the OEMs and I still have an issue with the pump. (I got the Gen II bags)

I hate the thought of losing the auto leveling fancy bags.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
BuckeyeEvan said:
I replaced the OEMs and I still have an issue with the pump. (I got the Gen II bags)

I hate the thought of losing the auto leveling fancy bags.

I don't have the bags on my voy, but maybe a leak in the lines or the fittings? I know the ones I had on the rendezvous ran a lot too and that the rear air suspension was completely shot.

I heard that the air suspension is mainly used for when your towing, so unless your towing it would be useless to have? Not sure how they work on the voy.

I think you could actually get rid of the air ride all together, which to me would be worth it.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Hoses, fittings, AND the compressor valves can leak. The compressor has valves for filling AND dumping pressure, or else it could never air down if you removed load from the rear. Many folks replace it with an Arnott aftermarket, or dump the entire system for coils. If you still need adjustability, get Airlift1000 bags inside the coils and use the manual Airlift compressor for the up/down. I have that system.

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
What you describe is how my air bags have operated since I bought by Envoy new. The dealer checked and said everything is working fine. When I escalated this, GM never satifactorily replied to my inquires either.

6 years, and 125,000 miles later they still work exactly the same way they always have.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
There is a valve rebuilding kit from the dealer for about $35.

I don't know if that's you problem, but it's something to check into.

BuckeyeEvan

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
the roadie said:
Hoses, fittings, AND the compressor valves can leak. The compressor has valves for filling AND dumping pressure, or else it could never air down if you removed load from the rear.
I think you're right on the fittings on the hose.
looks like I will have to hunt down the leak with soapy water.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I was wondering if you had found an air leak somewhere with the soapy water. I'm having this issue as well. Thanks!

BuckeyeEvan

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
I was wondering if you had found an air leak somewhere with the soapy water. I'm having this issue as well. Thanks!
I have not had the time to figure out why this thing runs more than I think it should.

I still have to post about the low engine temp reading. I think the thermostat is stuck open. :frown:
Plus the fan clutch sometimes spins real hard on the initial morning start up and 'disengages' after 2nd gear. (nothing like sounding like a jet plane for the first 100 yards/meters):crazy:
Now the tranny has some strange shifting issues. I need to check the fluid level to make sure the last oil change place didn't screw with it.:hissyfit:

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
BuckeyeEvan said:
I have not had the time to figure out why this thing runs more than I think it should.

>snip<

In my opinion, it's just a poorly engineered system.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
BuckeyeEvan said:
Plus the fan clutch sometimes spins real hard on the initial morning start up and 'disengages' after 2nd gear. (nothing like sounding like a jet plane for the first 100 yards/meters):crazy:

That is very common. Not a sign if a bad/failing fan clutch.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online