Air filter cover question

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I'm planning a little project which will involve gutting the filter box, and today while I had it off putting in my new filter, I noticed its divided into 2 pieces inside, with half of it being what I assume is another resonator to change the sound, which mates to a big hole in the air hose. When I gut the cover, if I cut that out, obviously the air will then just flow right around the filter and through the giant hole. Anyone else do this and keep the stock air hose? I'd love to change the hose, but i want to keep the resonator on top of the engine, and its an 06, so it has the big ole sensor on it that most of the CAI kits don't account for very well. Any ideas?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
My spare cover came off an 06' Bravada it has the AWD sticker on it. This is the one I gutted. I remember the 2 sections but I gutted the box to where the only thing giving it shape is a few ribs from the plastic i cut off. Other than the it is just the outer layer of plastic. I do think they are separated though as my original mod to the airbox was to keep the stock intake tube. Do not quote me on that though, it has been a while.

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
After looking a little closer at where the filter really is in relation to the cover, perhaps I'll end up keeping the divided part. I'll have to think about it. I need to pickup a spare to gut. I'll have to check a few junkyards, cause the ones I've seen so far want way to much for just a spare cover

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Think mine was like $20 and $10 for shipping, cannot remember which member sold it to me though

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Found a few decent deals recently on ebay, but they are a little different than mine. On mine, the hose that runs to the Secondary Air Injection System connects to the air box, but seems fairly useless as it connects such that it doesn't get filtered air, just air from in the box. Any reason I couldn't just use one that doesn't have that hose connection and just put a breather filter on the end of the hose and call it good?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
SBUBandit said:
...just put a breather filter on the end of the hose and call it good?
Pull the other SAIS hose from where it goes to the solenoid valve at the exhaust manifold. Feel the airflow from the 30A+ turbine motor on a cold start. Lots of flow. Just make sure you get a big enough filter on the other end of the hose. Little crankcase breather filters aren't big enough, which is why the designers piped it from the air filter box. I'd fabricate a fitting if I had to do that job.

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
Pull the other SAIS hose from where it goes to the solenoid valve at the exhaust manifold. Feel the airflow from the 30A+ turbine motor on a cold start. Lots of flow. Just make sure you get a big enough filter on the other end of the hose. Little crankcase breather filters aren't big enough, which is why the designers piped it from the air filter box. I'd fabricate a fitting if I had to do that job.

Got it. Were they always connected to the airbox from 03 on? I say a few for sale that said they were from 05 or 06 and didn't see the connection there, but I may have just missed in in the pictures

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.