Air conditioner problem

jorsr

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
My 02 trailblzer air conditioner works fine for the first 5 minutes then starts to just blow hot air , has anyone had this problem ,any ideas ?

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
do you have digital HVAC? I ask because I just saw a post recently with a similar problem.

Also for future reference go to your settings and fill out your vehicle year and sub model then you wont have to write it out.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Do you have the dual sliders to select the temperature? Or a knob, and a numerical display?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Can you check the front of the AC compressor under the hood, and see if the clutch is engaged? If the middle of the pulley wheel is turning, then the clutch is engaged and the compressor should operate. And it normally cycles on and off every 10-30 seconds.

If the center of the pulley is not rotating, then the clutch is disengaged, and you may have an electrical or more likely a low refrigerant problem that will need a professional AC mechanic to troubleshoot.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
I believe the clutch can also dis-engage if the magnet in the AC compressor clutch becomes worn/rusted f'd up. Some people replace the clutch bearing, others the whole compressor. You can also check the high pressure sensor on the condenser. It will be on the silver thing, to the upper left of the engine, with a wire loom connected to it. Can't miss it. It has a schrader valve so you wont loose any refrigerant. I believe I replaced mine for around $17 from car-quest. Either way, you can throw parts at it (like I did) or just have someone diagnose it at a shop. First would be to check refrigerant level, since this can cause the compressor to stop. Good luck!

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
When this happened to my 2002 Envoy, it was the low pressure switch ($15 at autozone). It would blow cold, really cold for a few minutes and then switch off and blow warm (outside) air. Sometimes it would blow cold again, sometimes not. Switch fixed it, easy fix.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
I have the same problem with my Digital Ac.....

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Just a little tip.

When the A/C is on and cycling, the low pressure switch makes a very noticeable "tick" when the switch opens and closes. If you arent hearing this and the A/C is acting up, try lightly rapping on the switch with something to see if it forces the switch to unstick.

Sometimes you can diagnose the bad switch that way; it didnt work in my case. My switch full out died. I changed it in the Autozone parking lot (It happened to die when it was 105*f this past summer here in Michigan for a few days straight - talk about BAD timing!!) lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online