air compressor

DrRansom442

Original poster
May 16, 2013
I've read several threads about converting the air ride to standard coils ... well my Bravada was already done and I believe power was cut off to the compressor. I haven't messed with it other than flipping the switch to see if it kicks on. I am curious about specs on the compressor. Amp draw? Output - peak PSI? Volume? I am trying to decide if I want to throw this compressor in my bigger cammed Cutlass (though it seems to create enough vacuum) or hook it back up in the Bravada ... try and bump up the output and hook up a small tank, use it to air flats or small air tools (I know forget about the impact wrench ...I'm not crazy). Anyone have some insights or done this?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
IIRC, owners have reported that the compressor was good for one beach ball or to top off one tire, but in terms of filling a totally flat or aired down offroad tire, it would overheat. And it may have been turn off in your truck because of some hose or valve problem in the compressor, not the former bags. In terms of specs, I'd guess it's no better than a $40 parts store unit. Very little CFM, under 15A current, no need for it to ever go above 75 PSI, and the duty cycle wouldn't even be a consideration for air bags so the designers probably skimped on that as well. Offroaders and bagged folks seem to use $250-400 Viair units. For low end, the "MV-50" $50 compressors are my recommendation if you only carry one compressor. They clamp to the battery because they take more current than an accessory outlet can deliver. Buy the highest duty cycle your budget will allow if you're going to add a tank and use air tools. For airing up 4 large offroad tires from 15 to 45 PSI in 2 minutes each, I use a liquid CO2 Power Tank setup.

DrRansom442

Original poster
May 16, 2013
That is what I pretty much reasoned the answer to be ... it's likely going to windup in the Cutlass, I think. Maybe ... I'll pump up the Cutty's metal vacuum reservoir (5"x6.75") and see what the mounted gauge reads.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online