aftermarket radio

CodeWhite

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Those of you who have a different head unit, do you have any issue with it not staying on with the ignition off like the stock radio? Mine doesn't stay on not even in the first key turn position the aux power or whatever its called.

ksimm92

Apr 28, 2012
hmm I've had 3 different aftermarket radios and they all stayed on until a door was opened. maybe an issue with the adapter that controls the chimes? :undecided: which one do you have?

CodeWhite

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
ksimm92 said:
hmm I've had 3 different aftermarket radios and they all stayed on until a door was opened. maybe an issue with the adapter that controls the chimes? :undecided: which one do you have?

Its a BOSS BV8966B

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
He means what adapter did you use? It sounds like it was hard wired without an adapter to me, if so it will not stay on after you turn the ignition switch off, or even the ACC position depending on were you got your power from. From your post, I'm guessing you had someone install your stereo? As for Boss, I was always told if you can't say something nice :lipsrsealed:

Black LT

Dec 4, 2011
He meant what adapter was used. To put in an aftermarket, either you have to splice wiring (not commonly recommended) or use an adapter such as a GMOS-04 or -01.

EDIT - I type slow!!

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Black LT said:
He meant what adapter was used. To put in an aftermarket, either you have to splice wiring (not commonly recommended) or use an adapter such as a GMOS-04 or -01.

EDIT - I type slow!!

That's how I recommend installing a stereo, you just need to know you'll lose the chimes and the delayed power or whatever it's called.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
This now explains something to me;
When I was removing the aftermarket Alpine radio from my '03, I saw a Door Chime "thingy" wired into the aftermarket harness and couldn't figure out why it was there. I knew WHAT it was, but didn't kow why it was required.
Like stock, the power stayed on just as the key was removed, then went off once the doors were opened.

Anyhow, I went back to a stock radio because I wanted the 6-CD option, and the Alpine didn't have that.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yup, i agree with the others... sounds like you dont have an adapter that keeps your RAP's...

CodeWhite

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Don't know what adapter was used when they installed. Installer told me it was because its not a "true ignition, its all data". So what I need its a gmos-04?
Something simple enough to do my self?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
that depends on what you have as factory options.. does your TB have BOSE? or is it nonBOSE... if it does have BOSE, then you will need the GMOS-04, if its nonBOSE, then all you need is the GMOS-01

they come with instructions, so it should be simple enough to install... but if you dont have any know how about hooking up stereos, or what the previous owner did to hook that one up, it might be best to take it somewhere to have it hooked up.. unless you know what you are doing, and know how to troubleshoot, then it will be eay for you..

CodeWhite

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Boricua SS said:
that depends on what you have as factory options.. does your TB have BOSE? or is it nonBOSE... if it does have BOSE, then you will need the GMOS-04, if its nonBOSE, then all you need is the GMOS-01

they come with instructions, so it should be simple enough to install... but if you dont have any know how about hooking up stereos, or what the previous owner did to hook that one up, it might be best to take it somewhere to have it hooked up.. unless you know what you are doing, and know how to troubleshoot, then it will be eay for you..

NonBose, I guess I'll figure out what I'm going to do once i get the gmos-01.
Thanks for the insight

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
You might not have the OEM plug, if it's still there you'll need to splice the wires to the plug (unless they used scotch locks). Do you have someone with a little more knowledge that would help you? + is it really worth the money for chimes and the delayed power? I guessing if you had plenty of extra money to through at it you would have got a better stereo. IMO I would have got less bells and whistles and stepped up the quality.

JB100

Oct 31, 2012
My 05 had the Onstar/Non Bose radio, when I upgraded to the Pioneer I now have I went to my local audio center and told the guy what I had and he said this is what you need. Radio adapter(keeps onstar/door chimes/Retained Accessory Power)/antenna adapter and install kit was $180. The radio adapter was the most expensive part. Now the radio works till you open the door. The best part is is that when I get ready to trade/replace the truck all I have to do is unplug the adapters and plug in the original radio.

The radio adapter came with a great set of instructions. It was just a matter of matching wires. Total time was about 1 1/2 hrs with a break thrown in.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
JB100 said:
Radio adapter(keeps onstar/door chimes/Retained Accesthsory Power)/antenna adapter and install kit was $180.

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you got hosed!!!

FightClub_Hosed.gif

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Flash12623 said:
Quick little thread hijack, will the GMOS-1 work on a 2011 nonbose silverado?

no, they only work on the 03-06 silvy's...

JB100

Oct 31, 2012
Short Bus said:
I hate to be the one to tell you, but you got hosed!!!

FightClub_Hosed.gif

I know it was a bit expensive but I needed it as I was getting ready for a trip and wanted it then.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
JB100 said:
I know it was a bit expensive but I needed it as I was getting ready for a trip and wanted it then.

I think I would have waited to save $150 :eek:

[EBAY]121009773215[/EBAY]

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Short Bus said:
I think I would have waited to save $150 :eek:

[EBAY]121009773215[/EBAY]

those came down in price ALOT... when i first got mine 3 yerars ago, i paid over $90 on Amazon... and i know before then, they were going for well over $100...

JB100

Oct 31, 2012
I guess I did pay too much for the adapter. It's only money and you can't take it with you. It's all over and done with. It sounds great and works perfectly.

JayPizzle

Mar 26, 2012
I would pull the radio out and look at what kind of harness/adapter they used. Ive done a few head units and the only time I have ever ran into trouble is when I tried to bypass the adapter. You have to be careful at some audio shops (Best Buy is notorious) because they will cut corners bad. Im getting ready to do a Pioneer Double Din in my envoy and it looks like it will be a piece of cake to install

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online