Aftermarket exhaust manifold.

suburbs

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Going over my options for replacing cracked exhaust manifold.

My concern is with this being such a common issue on our platform whether or not I want to use a factory part since they are prone to failure.

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket exhaust manifolds? Or is replacing with another factory part recommended?

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
suburbs said:
Going over my options for replacing cracked exhaust manifold.

My concern is with this being such a common issue on our platform whether or not I want to use a factory part since they are prone to failure.

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket exhaust manifolds? Or is replacing with another factory part recommended?

I don't have experience but the Dorman replacement for 02-05 claims to have more material so as to be less prone to crack. Since Dorman does not make a manifold for us 06+ guys I bought a stock manifold, extrude honed it and then ceramic coated it for strength. It is my understanding the stock manifolds crack due to heat stress rather than weight stress but I don't know for sure.

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
Pittdawg said:
I don't have experience but the Dorman replacement for 02-05 claims to have more material so as to be less prone to crack. Since Dorman does not make a manifold for us 06+ guys I bought a stock manifold, extrude honed it and then ceramic coated it for strength. It is my understanding the stock manifolds crack due to heat stress rather than weight stress but I don't know for sure.

From what I understand, it's from heat stress caused by the number 3 and 4 cylinders exiting so close to the manifold.

Envoy09

Mar 26, 2012
I didn't know this was a common problem. I was actually surprised when mine had to be replaced at 58000km (36000 miles). Anyway, mine was replaced under warranty. How much does it cost approx.?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.