Adding tweeters... Non Bose system

andrew4321

Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Good day! I was hoping someone could answer a question I have about adding tweeters in the dash (where the tweeters are located if you have the Bose system.) how would I wire them up to the factory head unit? Would I reroute the wires coming from the tweeters in the door speakers? I have tried searching for the answer here and on the OS and have not found any answers.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
andrew4321 said:
Good day! I was hoping someone could answer a question I have about adding tweeters in the dash (where the tweeters are located if you have the Bose system.) how would I wire them up to the factory head unit? Would I reroute the wires coming from the tweeters in the door speakers? I have tried searching for the answer here and on the OS and have not found any answers.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

I would assume the correct way to do this would be purchase a component set of speakers and install the woofer in the door and the tweeter where you want it. Those come with a crossover, so it only send the high notes to the tweeter, the lows to the woofer.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I just installed a set of tweeters there back in August. I do not have the Bose setup either. I used two 3" tweeters that I purchased on ebay for something like $19.

The panel up on the dash just lifts up, there are no screws holding it down. After removing the panel and the Ambient Light Sensor, I cut the cloth covers away from the speaker mounts, then used a piece of wire from a coat hangar to route and pull the speaker wire through to the the back of the HU. Routing the wire wasn't hard at all. Took me no more that 20 seconds per side.

Once the speaker wires were routed, I connected them and used self tapping screws to hold the speakers down.

I then tapped into the two wires (for the front speakers) with a few of these: http://www.midterminc.com/media/5602.gif

If I'm not mistaken, the front right speaker wire colors that I tapped into are green and brown. The left wires are grey (with and without the black stripe).

After installing, the sound inside of my Envoy is much more "full" now. I'm very happy with it!

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
You can also purchase a high-pass filter to put inline with the tweets if you just want to add them. I used a capacitor as a low-pass filter when I added a sub box to a previous car I had when I tapped into the rear speaker wires. Same thing would work for the tweeters - just put a high-pass inline with them.

Capacitors in Series with Speakers

andrew4321

Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Many thanks for the quick, not to mention helpful replies everyone! hockeyman you have been especially helpful, I will be pursuing a setup that is modeled after you recommendation. Thanks once again.

xOgrex

Sep 17, 2012
Just did this myself and have to agree with hockeyman - definitely sounds alot better. I used a pair of Pioneer 6.5" with built in crossovers so I had to go a slightly different root for the wiring:

View attachment 23272

Used a set of dikes to cut a small hole in the electrical connector boots and pulled the wiring through into the door. Don't have a pic of the finished product :confused:, but used some silicone sealer to seal the holes around the wire before routing them the same as the existing wiring harness, wrapping them in wire wrap, and gently zip tying them to ensure they don't get pinched in anything.

Attachments

• IMG_7285.jpg
    IMG_7285.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 6

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.