Adding an AUX Input as such

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
Ive searched for a while and couldnt find anything on this.
I want to add a input like this had done to it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Trail...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad389cae9&vxp=mtr

But i cant figure out how it was done. I did something like this on my grand am but it always had to have a cd playing:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103451&cp

bottom.jpg

cdconnector.jpg

But that required a cd to always be in as it used the cd source.

So my question is has anyone done it this way? Or would know of a radio pinout to find the "AUX" source left/right channels?

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
Bump

bags529

Dec 25, 2013
I am also looking at trying to get this done myself... its on my list to pull and examine on Sunday.

I have done this exact mod on a couple Volvo's and a VW.

I'll let you know what I can figure out.

Mine is an 03 ext LT with Bose and old OnStar.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Some folks added a part found online, ebay, or Best Buy that taps into the radio antenna iirc. Clear audio and interupts radio when operated. Couple hours est.

I would link the page but it would send you to an "evil" (not my words) site. :biggrin:

Google is your friend.

From what I read folks without XM usually get an aftermarket HU or use the radio frequency cheapies.

There are manuals for the radios here but I could not find them, probably due to the transition. I saw the diagrams on google but would not open the site. "404 not found" etc...

Admin!

webdawg

Jun 26, 2014
I do not have xm but I have the connector. Anyone know if I can still add an aux.

What I am asking is: Does the xm module just switch on the radio to detect it or does the xm module send something digital to it?

Reactions: stvrob

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
webdawg said:
I do not have xm but I have the connector. Anyone know if I can still add an aux.

What I am asking is: Does the xm module just switch on the radio to detect it or does the xm module send something digital to it?
Can you take a picture of your connector? Are you sure it's the XM connector, or could it be the CD changer connector?

I have a PIE connector in mine that allows me to use the AUX input. It thinks it's a CD changer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAC-AAI-GM9-Car-Audio-Auxiliary-Stereo-Audio-Input-Interface-Module-Onstar-GM-/251368431194?pt=US_Adapters&hash=item3a86b9de5a

Jared

webdawg

Jun 26, 2014
jsheahawk said:
Can you take a picture of your connector? Are you sure it's the XM connector, or could it be the CD changer connector?

I have a PIE connector in mine that allows me to use the AUX input. It thinks it's a CD changer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAC-AAI-GM9-Car-Audio-Auxiliary-Stereo-Audio-Input-Interface-Module-Onstar-GM-/251368431194?pt=US_Adapters&hash=item3a86b9de5a

Jared
The location I am looking is where the XM module usually is. Where is the location of the CD changer supposed to be?

stvrob

May 28, 2014
On the wiring diagram it shows a digital radio "ON" signal back to the head unit. If you rigged up the adaptor plug with a switch, so when you plugged in your AUX signal, it also sent 12v to the head unit, would this fool your head unit into thinking you had an XM signal? Would the head unit then include XM when you scrolled thru hitting the "BAND" button?
Would anyone know if 12v is the proper XM "ON" signal? (Maybe its 5v, or -5v or something else?)

stvrob

May 28, 2014
webdawg said:

If you find out please post back. I'm trying to do the exact same thing.
The wiring diagram shows a yellow wire which presumably caries serial data back to the head unit for the display. Probably more important, there is a BLK/WHT wire labeled RADIO ON SIG. I presume you would use this wire to trick the head unit into believing an XM radio was connected and powered up, and then the BAND button would be allowed to scroll to XM? I don't have any idea though what "on" signal the head unit would be expecting to see? Hopefully it is not a subscriber code?

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
I am looking into getting the Isimple isgm655 currently so I know on non xm vehicles to get "XM" source to show up it needs to be programmed by a tech 2.

stvrob

May 28, 2014
Thanks. I assumed the head unit detected the XM receiver. Maybe that RADIO ON SIG wire actually tells the XM radio to turn on.

oh05ext

Dec 7, 2011
i just did this to our truck last weekend and it worked great but for some reason you can still hear the faint sound from the xm channel. could i have gotten bad parts from the shack? i might just buy another set and try again. on wired everything like the diagram on here but the pictures were kind of fuzzy so i might take new ones.

webdawg

Jun 26, 2014
As far as the XM connector I am talking about the one under the dash.

stvrob said:
On the wiring diagram it shows a digital radio "ON" signal back to the head unit. If you rigged up the adaptor plug with a switch, so when you plugged in your AUX signal, it also sent 12v to the head unit, would this fool your head unit into thinking you had an XM signal? Would the head unit then include XM when you scrolled thru hitting the "BAND" button?
Would anyone know if 12v is the proper XM "ON" signal? (Maybe its 5v, or -5v or something else?)
It may not be an analog signal but if we figure this out, we would at least know. That is does it just send power to the unit, or does it send a digital string to the radio?

Anyone know if the ON signal is just an analog voltage or is it a digital signal?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Moore

Members Online

No members online now.