Adding 3rd row seating to an Envoy XUV, is it even possible?

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Just wondering if something like this has been done or if its even possible. My neighbor has an 04 XUV and wants to add 3rd row seating for whenever his daughter/her family come to visit and he doesn't really use the cargo bed so instead of trading it in for one that does, he wants to know if he could just go to a salvage yard and remove the cargo bedding and install the seats?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
It would seem like a real hassle figuring it all out, and like Brandon said, there's no area for the feet to be down

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
BlazingTrails said:
I think it could be done, but it would not be the same as an EXT. the floor does not drop down for feet, and you would have to fab seat belt mounts etc. i don't think it would be worth doing it. IMO
Yeah, he thought the rear was the same as the EXT just with the cargo bedding added. I'm pretty sure with the time and money involved it would be better to just trade it.
Capote said:
It would seem like a real hassle figuring it all out, and like Brandon said, there's no area for the feet to be down
Seems like it would be a fun side project to see what it could be like if done right.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Mike534x said:
Yeah, he thought the rear was the same as the EXT just with the cargo bedding added. I'm pretty sure with the time and money involved it would be better to just trade it.
Seems like it would be a fun side project to see what it could be like if done right.
It would be a very interesting project to undertake :yes:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Interesting idea, but I'll have to agree with the previous statements.

In good weather, it would be cool to open up the roof and have the back be convertible-like. And in bad weather, punish any misbehaving/annoying passengers by letting them get rained on! :rotfl:

So was his idea to take out the cargo flooring, add carpeting and padding, and remove the midgate hardware? The rear doors and seats are the same as the EXT, so entry/exit would be the same if he pulled it off. When I've poked around in my friend's XUV, I didn't pay much attention to the D pillars, and we haven't taken those panels off, so I don't know if there's a provision for a seat belt mount or not. That would probably be the biggest challenge I think. :undecided:

Reactions: Capote

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Interesting idea, but I'll have to agree with the previous statements.

In good weather, it would be cool to open up the roof and have the back be convertible-like. And in bad weather, punish any misbehaving/annoying passengers by letting them get rained on! :rotfl:

So was his idea to take out the cargo flooring, add carpeting and padding, and remove the midgate hardware? The rear doors and seats are the same as the EXT, so entry/exit would be the same if he pulled it off. When I've poked around in my friend's XUV, I didn't pay much attention to the D pillars, and we haven't taken those panels off, so I don't know if there's a provision for a seat belt mount or not. That would probably be the biggest challenge I think. :undecided:
Yeah he wanted to remove the cargo flooring, I don't believe hes planning on removing anything else. We offered him our 04 EXT as a trade but he doesn't want to step down from the V8 to an I6, it was worth a try though. :biggrin:

Reactions: 808_LS_EXT

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online