AcDelco Reman P/S Pump...

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
I recently replaced my Original P/S pump with a Reman unit from AcDelco (3132), the one with the reservoir. Flushed the entire system at the cooling return hose with New fluid (Prestone)... manually primed the pump, and bled/purged the entire system for almost 10 minutes, front on car stands, turned wheel left and then turned right, after fluid level stayed constant, fired'er up and continued the purging process, topped off the fluid level to appropriate level.... took it out for a spin and noticed a hum/whine that is RPM dependent, steering to me seems good.... no whine or sounds when turning and or holding at lock. I've read as much as I could using Google, but haven't found much information that would sound like the problem I may have. All I've read is many people have had trouble with power steering pumps and having to exchange them twice or even 3 times before they luck out and get a good rebuilt unit, I thought I could avoid all that by buying an AcDelco, but well here I am.... I already made sure it was the P/S pump using a stethoscope that is causing this sound as the sound is present when you first start'er up in the morning or after a few hour nap... btw, I used the proper tools to remove and to install the pulley... anyone out there have a similar issue? Another thing, the sound seems to appear around 1500 rpm and continue, changing in tone as the engine revs... Tonight I bought a bottle of Lubegard, hoping it will take care of this nuisance...

Billdaman

Jan 19, 2012
KNBlazer said:
I recently replaced my Original P/S pump with a Reman unit from AcDelco (3132), the one with the reservoir. Flushed the entire system at the cooling return hose with New fluid (Prestone)... manually primed the pump, and bled/purged the entire system for almost 10 minutes, front on car stands, turned wheel left and then turned right, after fluid level stayed constant, fired'er up and continued the purging process, topped off the fluid level to appropriate level.... took it out for a spin and noticed a hum/whine that is RPM dependent, steering to me seems good.... no whine or sounds when turning and or holding at lock. I've read as much as I could using Google, but haven't found much information that would sound like the problem I may have. All I've read is many people have had trouble with power steering pumps and having to exchange them twice or even 3 times before they luck out and get a good rebuilt unit, I thought I could avoid all that by buying an AcDelco, but well here I am.... I already made sure it was the P/S pump using a stethoscope that is causing this sound as the sound is present when you first start'er up in the morning or after a few hour nap... btw, I used the proper tools to remove and to install the pulley... anyone out there have a similar issue? Another thing, the sound seems to appear around 1500 rpm and continue, changing in tone as the engine revs... Tonight I bought a bottle of Lubegard, hoping it will take care of this nuisance...

I just replaced my PS pump with AC Delco reman (Amazon - 67$) and although the instal was a complete PITA my vehicle is operating like new. Based on what you describe I would like to propose the following questions:

Is the pulley in perfect alignment with the other system pulleys? I had a very difficult time pushing the pulley on to the proper F/A location on the shaft. Basically the shaft needs to be pressed flush with the front of vehicle end of the Shaft.

Did you clean the Pump Pulley thoroughly before replacing it? I too some brake cleaner to mine and it was full of crud imbedded in the pulley groves. That along with some fluid and other gunk could lead to whining / squeeling

How about the Serpentine belt? Did you resuse or replace? If its reused is it clean? If its replaced is it the right Part number? There are several posts on the old forum that indicate that teh "proper" belt number that you would receive at parts stores are the WRONG number. If you use the belt that is 1" too long that could coase the whining / squeeling.

Just some ideas:smile:

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Did all that, also had it checked out and was told it's internal... wil live with it for now...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online