AC Compressor Clutch/Coil Kit

Dohcser

Original poster
Apr 15, 2014
I have done a lot of searching on this site as well as the old.

Issue: Pulley Bearing worn, and is noisy. Clutch doesn't engage when 85 deg plus.

I plan on pulling the pulley and replacing the bearing, however I was hoping there is a "generic" clutch kit with coil I can buy to replace it all while I am in there.

Question: Does anyone know of a Compressor Clutch Kit with Coil I can buy that would fit an 04 TB LT?
NOTE: I did check ebay but was not successful.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Not that I've ever found. It only comes as a complete AC compressor, which is expensive and annoying.

My pulley was totally shot, so I ended up buying a used compressor from a local yard to steal its pulley and clutch (I put a new bearing in it).

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
There used to be a company on eBay that sold refurbished ones. They are no longer around though. I've never seen any others available anywhere..

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I don’t ordinarily refer to the ‘TV’ site for any “How-To” repair suggestions… but for the sake of argument and a “Proof of Concept” posting that will serve well enough to inform you of all the efforts that are involved in your idea, here goes:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=53918

Because you will have to do this work with the Compressor still charged and installed… it will seriously magnify the difficulty factor; especially while having to work blind both on top and when down there in order to remove and install the Pulley Retention Spring Clip and when having to Dremel out the staked-in Sealed Roller Bearing.

Depending upon how old your vehicle is (your profile does not show the Year/Make/Mode/Mileage data)… spending the nearly $400.00 it will take to get the “Peace of Mind” you need that an AC-Delco or Delphi AC Compressor will come with might just be worth resigning yourself to and doing the R&R of the unit with only the Best that a LOT of $$$ can Buy.

You can of course obtain any of these that look re-manned and tidied up from a wide array of inexpensive AC Compressors being touted on the open market for under $100.00… etc. But after they all fail in a month or two… regardless of which cheap one your purchase… plan on cursing yourself while inventing New Swear Words when you find yourself right back under the SUV installing the OEM Quality one after all ...during the hottest part of the Summer months that are looming ahead.

One last suggestion... R-134A Prices will soon climb as this Refrigerant is scheduled for a phase out of production by 2020 and will get more and more pricey as time goes by... so having a case of the stuff on a shelf somewhere might come in handy, too.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online