A discussion about browsers

Wooluf1952

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I'd like to get a discussion going about the different browsers(Chrome, Safari, whatever).

I'd especially like to hear from those that have tried a couple of different browsers.

I use IE and would like to change.

My wife wants to stay with AOL. :redface:

My son really likes Chrome.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Unless it changed again AOL is a wrapper around IE.

I use chrome for the most part then I use Fire Fox. About the only place I use IE is at work when I need it to run web apps developed at work for IE.:hissyfit:

Wooluf1952

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
djthumper said:
Unless it changed again AOL is a wrapper around IE.

I use chrome for the most part then I use Fire Fox. About the only place I use IE is at work when I need it to run web apps developed at work for IE.:hissyfit:

Yup. One of the things I dislike about AOL is the way it controls favorites.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
I've been using Firefox for a few years now and love it! When I visit my mom it's painful to have to use IE so I put FF on there too. You can set up a Firefox sync key and use it anywhere on any other computer. All my preferences and bookmarks sync right in and I can basically have "My Browser" anywhere. Awesomeness.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
jham said:
I had been using IE but recently went to Firefox and I love it

+1 I like Firefox much better than IE

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I use Firefox on my computers and phone, couldn't be happier. :cool:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
willn513 said:
I've been using Firefox for a few years now and love it! When I visit my mom it's painful to have to use IE so I put FF on there too. You can set up a Firefox sync key and use it anywhere on any other computer. All my preferences and bookmarks sync right in and I can basically have "My Browser" anywhere. Awesomeness.

I have been using Firefox for years now and had not seen this option. I am assuming it's a plugin, can you point us in the right direction? I love Firefox, this would just make all that much better! :thumbsup:

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
I'm diehard Firefox. I've heard good things about Chrome, but when it comes to browsers I'm a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy. :cool:

TheBad

Dec 4, 2011
I've been using Fire Fox for years now. I tried Chrome a few months ago, couldn't get a feel for it so I went back to FF.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Chrome hands down, its faster and Google patches vulnerabilities in fewer days than both Firefox and IE. Ive used Opera and Safari before, but I like the simplistic interface of Chrome better.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Regulator said:
I have been using Firefox for years now and had not seen this option. I am assuming it's a plugin, can you point us in the right direction? I love Firefox, this would just make all that much better! :thumbsup:

Just search for firefox sync. Basically you just get a really long passkey that you can "activate" and "deactivate" on different computers as needed.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
well going against the popular demand here :rotfl:

i've been using IE since High School... never really bugged me... the only time i switched to FF was when the OS started having too many ads... gotta love the ad blocker ad-on :thumbsup:

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
They still make IE? Who Know? :rotfl:

I use FireFox w/ Adblock. I love how I can customize FF they way I like it. I also have Chrome as a backup browser. At one point I had Safari but never used it.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
ScarabEpic22 said:
Chrome hands down, its faster and Google patches vulnerabilities in fewer days than both Firefox and IE. Ive used Opera and Safari before, but I like the simplistic interface of Chrome better.

The speed on Chrome is noticeable on aircard connection while mobile. But there are some compatibility issues on a handful of sites. That is the reason I keep Firefox around as well. Safari on Windows is a different beast then on Apple OS X.

armymp90099

Dec 7, 2011
I use safari on my Mac for most things however sometimes I will use chrome. IE would be my last choice for any browser, hell I hate anything windows except Xbox anyway.

cbwilsha

Dec 4, 2011
FireFox since V1.0. Tried Chrome at one point when it was new and it couldn't compete. Have never used IE since switching to FireFox.

C.B.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Boricua SS said:
well going against the popular demand here :rotfl:

i've been using IE since High School... never really bugged me... the only time i switched to FF was when the OS started having too many ads... gotta love the ad blocker ad-on :thumbsup:

That damn Jaguar ad is why I switched to FireFox.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Firefox on my Windows, Linux, and Mac machines. Safari also on the Mac, but usually end up using FF.
IE is the only browser allowed at the office, and it's usually a pain because we have no control over
what it' set to do. It also doesn't clean up after itself very well as far as temp files, even when you use the
"clean up" function. Firefox isn't perfect, but I get better results.

I tried Chrome on the Linux box because that's what I usually use for an OS, but it kept messing up my
video settings. I can't say that was really Chrome's fault and not something I overlooked, but FF didn't do it
and still gave me what I wanted, so I went back to FF.

Cheers (and Merry Christmas to all!)

Chris

hrddrv

Dec 4, 2011
I am a FF user. Even at work I use portable FF I have everything synced. I would like to use Chrome but it kills my memory on my old computer. I do think it is faster but I normally have 3 to 4 tabs open and that just kills my old computer. I am using Ubuntu and will probably be switching to Mint linux here soon, hopefully then I will get to see if Chrome will run. I guess I really just need to buy a new comput:biggrin:er.

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
You already know my choice. Most content is usually displayed exactly how it as intended to look, but IE always finds a way to screw something up. I would say that around 90% of the template related complaints are because of IE's "compatibility mode", or lack thereof.

I personally use FF, but I test the sites with all major browsers.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Firefox here, been using it since version 0.3 or something like that.

I use Chrome for a secondary browser. It just doesn't do it for me over all.

Not a big fan of Opera.

IE, well, it sucks. 9 sucks less than any other version so far, but it still sucks.

Safari I won't touch with a 10 foot pole.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i alternate between chrome and ff. ff is the most extensible browser hands down, chrome dropped the ball in that respect and thats going to hold it back

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online