A/C Question

UMEXT

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Hi, I've had the traditional resistor problem with the A/C since I bought the vehicle, but now I have a different, separate A/C problem. The air that's being blown goes from cold to outside air and back, repeatedly. The cold air is very, very cold, and there's no indication, via RPM changes, sound, or any other way, that the compressor is cycling on and off.

Does anyone have any ideas? I was raised in Miami with no A/C, but my girlfriend and kids are a bit more delicate, and it's almost summer. Thanks.

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
UMEXT said:
Hi, I've had the traditional resistor problem with the A/C since I bought the vehicle, but now I have a different, separate A/C problem. The air that's being blown goes from cold to outside air and back, repeatedly. The cold air is very, very cold, and there's no indication, via RPM changes, sound, or any other way, that the compressor is cycling on and off.

Does anyone have any ideas? I was raised in Miami with no A/C, but my girlfriend and kids are a bit more delicate, and it's almost summer. Thanks.

All TB Voys have this feature. i think there is primary and secondary engagement. when the AC is off the AC is still working but not engaged completly. unless u turn the temp thermostat up. only way to completly shut off the AC is to turn the fan/blower off. then the vents open up.
Or am i understanding your question wrong.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You can see if the compressor is cycling by looking at the clutch at the front of the compressor. If the refrigerant level is low because of a slow leak, unwanted compressor cycling on and off could be the result. Or junk clogging the radiator airflow.

If you don't have any INTERIOR lower fan airflow because you haven't fixed the resistor pack, why not fix that first? Why put it off?

UMEXT

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
the roadie said:
You can see if the compressor is cycling by looking at the clutch at the front of the compressor. If the refrigerant level is low because of a slow leak, unwanted compressor cycling on and off could be the result. Or junk clogging the radiator airflow.

If you don't have any INTERIOR lower fan airflow because you haven't fixed the resistor pack, why not fix that first? Why put it off?

Because until I resolve this other issue, it's not worth the effort and expense for me to blow hot air into the cabin. I can open windows for free.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macicg65

Members Online