9-7x ECT location?

jfalstrom

Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Hi all,

New to the forum and only recently purchased a 9-7x. I have been getting a lot of great information by reading old threads, but, now cannot find what I need and am hoping someone can help. Yesterday, I installed a new thermostat. (hands are healing well!) I purchased an ECT sensor to replace it as well based on the forums advice. The problem is that there was no sensor in the normal location. The block is not even tapped at that location. I also could not see it anywhere within easy view of that side of the engine. Given, I had a limited window to get it back together and felt the 172 degree running temperature(by scan tool) was a result of a stuck open thermostat, I put everything back. Yes, problem solved. Running 195 to 201 by scan tool, but, where the heck is the ECT sensor located on this version?

Thanks,

John

jfalstrom

Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Conner299 said:
Check the back of the block, on the passenger side.

Thank you. I will look as soon as it stops snowing! Glad I got this done yesterday (50 degrees) can't wait for spring.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
Conner's got it. They moved it for MY2006+
Has anyone else heard of failing ECTs? I've haven't. OP, I'd take the part back save time and save your knuckles.

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
limequat said:
Has anyone else heard of failing ECTs? I've haven't.

Mine failed, or I assumed it failed. Torque showed a 40* temperature swing per second, I'm pretty sure the thermostat can't open and close that fast. I replaced the t-stat and ECT sensor together since I was already there.

jfalstrom

Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
limequat said:
Conner's got it. They moved it for MY2006+
Has anyone else heard of failing ECTs? I've haven't. OP, I'd take the part back save time and save your knuckles.

Just got back from an errand and saw your reply limequat. Do you mean all 4.2 liter engines or just the Saab version for 2006+ it moved? I have the Trailblazer/Envoy Haynes manual and it didn't mention this location.

I must have read every thread on both sites with the vast majority promoting changing out the sensor at the same time as the thermostat because of low price and accessibility after removing the alternator. If I had known it was located in a different area, I wouldn't have opted to do it at the same time. Only paid $20 for the sensor so I am not very upset and I think I will just save it in case. The reported failure rate didn't seem to be high, but, the consensus still was a just in case because you already did most of the work.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
jfalstrom said:
Just got back from an errand and saw your reply limequat. Do you mean all 4.2 liter engines or just the Saab version for 2006+ it moved? I have the Trailblazer/Envoy Haynes manual and it didn't mention this location.

I must have read every thread on both sites with the vast majority promoting changing out the sensor at the same time as the thermostat because of low price and accessibility after removing the alternator. If I had known it was located in a different area, I wouldn't have opted to do it at the same time. Only paid $20 for the sensor so I am not very upset and I think I will just save it in case. The reported failure rate didn't seem to be high, but, the consensus still was a just in case because you already did most of the work.

Yeah I suppose that makes sense if you're in there anyway. Dunno how easy it would be to get to the new location in a truck, seems like a pain.

The location was for all GMT360s 2006 and later. The manuals are wrong :smile:

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
limequat said:
Yeah I suppose that makes sense if you're in there anyway. Dunno how easy it would be to get to the new location in a truck, seems like a pain.

The location was for all GMT360s 2006 and later. The manuals are wrong :smile:

That the main reason I don't read them :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.