6 cylinder confusion

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Lately I've noticed (maybe you have too) that the automotive world doesn't seem to know that every 6 cylinder engine is not a V6. I see 360 TBs advertized with V6s quite often and I was watching an old episode of overhaulin where they said that the Chevy II that they were featuring originally came with a 4 or a V6 engine? I expect this on Craigslist but, overhaulin ?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Lot of automotive people aren't familiar with BMWs, then (and that's sad). Although I don't know how much longer they're going to be putting the inline 6 into cars. They seem to be switching over to the Turbo'd 4-pots, like everyone else is doing.

Packaging is a concern, nowadays - same reason we don't see the 360's base engine used any longer. 'Long hood / short deck' is a relic, these days.
Now it's just 'short hood / shorter deck (or 'no deck'; fastbacks are getting trendy again, IMO)

As far as the show where the staff seems to really know their business, does *very* good work, and doesn't seem too full of themselves - I kinda like 'Bitchin' Rides', which is Dave Kindig's shop in Salt Lake City. Best quality work on TV, IMO. The only downside is that they're 'full custom only', so if you like an occasional stock restoration, Dave ain't gonna be your builder. I couldn't bring myself to chop up a rare car, but they do it all the time on that show.

Reactions: Redbeard and Drec

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Seems like the only i6 engines widely known about are the Toyota JZ series. Never hear anyone really talk about BMW and Chevy inline 6's sadly.

Reactions: Redbeard

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
As far as the show where the staff seems to really know their business, does *very* good work, and doesn't seem too full of themselves - I kinda like 'Bitchin' Rides', which is Dave Kindig's shop in Salt Lake City. Best quality work on TV, IMO. The only downside is that they're 'full custom only', so if you like an occasional stock restoration, Dave ain't gonna be your builder. I couldn't bring myself to chop up a rare car, but they do it all the time on that show.
Yeah Kindig really has it all together, I also like Fantom Works because as you mention they do occasional restorations, the owner tends to emote a bit too much but, the show is still pretty good.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online