4x4 Transfer Case Fluid

601mark

Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Hola from Tucson- Happy to find you folks here from that "other" site. I used this and the other site to help change the 4x4 disconnect box (passenger side) last week. I need to get busy and add my 2 cents on how I got it done. There's always a snag!

TODAY: I went to change the Transfer Case fluid. I'd previously called the dealer and confirmed by VIN number that my Envoy uses Autotrac II fluid, qty= 2qts. I've had a 2002 (built 9/2001) Envoy for about a year now. The fluid that came out was brown gear oil. It was the smell that told me it was gear oil. It was definately thicker than the new Autotrack II.

I probably got only a cup of the gear oil out of it. I put Autorack II fluid back in but it only holds 1 quart versus the 2 I was told (by the dealer and this forum) it holds.

When I got it, I went to a junk-yard and got the missing jack and a 2002 paper owner's manual. The paper manual calls for 75w-90 GM# 12378261, or equiv if spec= 9986115.

QUESTION: Did the last person who changed it put in the wrong stuff? Did any Envoy's use something other than Autotrac II? Is a 1 qt capacity normal?

If Autotrack II is the right stuff, I'll change it again in a week to purge out the gear oil.

Que te vaya bien!

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
601mark said:
Hola from Tucson- Happy to find you folks here from that "other" site. I used this and the other site to help change the 4x4 disconnect box (passenger side) last week. I need to get busy and add my 2 cents on how I got it done. There's always a snag!

TODAY: I went to change the Transfer Case fluid. I'd previously called the dealer and confirmed by VIN number that my Envoy uses Autotrac II fluid, qty= 2qts. I've had a 2002 (built 9/2001) Envoy for about a year now. The fluid that came out was brown gear oil. It was the smell that told me it was gear oil. It was definately thicker than the new Autotrack II.

I probably got only a cup of the gear oil out of it. I put Autorack II fluid back in but it only holds 1 quart versus the 2 I was told (by the dealer and this forum) it holds.

When I got it, I went to a junk-yard and got the missing jack and a 2002 paper owner's manual. The paper manual calls for 75w-90 GM# 12378261, or equiv if spec= 9986115.

QUESTION: Did the last person who changed it put in the wrong stuff? Did any Envoy's use something other than Autotrac II? Is a 1 qt capacity normal?

If Autotrack II is the right stuff, I'll change it again in a week to purge out the gear oil.

Que te vaya bien!

Autotrak II is for transfer case, 75w-90 is for front and rear diffs. Maybe you misread the manual?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Or misidentified the transfer case location versus the front diff.

drivetrain-component-locator.jpg

601mark

Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Yeh,,, I should be spanked vigorously. I did mis-identify the front differential versus the trasfer case behind the transmission. All these terms!!! Good thing it was only $8.95 a qt at my dealer.

It's probably a good thing I was in the front differential anyway. I emptied a cup of gear oil and it took a quart to fill it. I haven't driven it yet. I'm heading out to drain it now :redface:

Thanks Roadie for the 8x10 color glossy of all the drive train parts. I'd been invesigating my other 4wd problems on a few occasions and never saw that graphic. I would have suggested you delete this embarassing thread, but the drivetrain graphic is great and if it prevents someone else doing the same thing....

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
No need to be embarrassed, at least you didn't have to do a "jig" :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696