4x4 First winter

CodeWhite

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Well on my first winter with the tb and we got our first snow yesterday a good one about 4 inches. As far as i know i use 4hi in slippery situations like yesterday and 4lo if im stuck or something. But i noticed when it switches over from 2hi to 4hi i get a "clunk" with a little kick. This normal?
Btw 4x4 is the sh** in the snow! :wootwoot:

CodeWhite

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Just noticed I probably should've put this in drivetrain but also should i switch modes as the pavement condition changes even if its consistently changing

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
CodeWhite said:
As far as i know i use 4hi in slippery situations like yesterday and 4lo if im stuck or something.
I've had 4x4 trucks for years, they have all had 2 speed t-cases. I will slip into and out of 4HI when surface conditions dictate; but, I have only used 4LOW once, or twice. I will use it to pull up a very steep hill with loose gravel (like an old logging road), but 4Hi usually keeps me from getting stuck; and, I've found if I'm stuck with 4HI, 4LOW probably would get me out either. If you can't move in 4HI, you are high centered, or on ice with so much snow against the sides of the truck you can't push through it.

CodeWhite said:
But i noticed when it switches over from 2hi to 4hi i get a "clunk" with a little kick. This normal?
Not normal if you are a slippery surface; if on a dry surface and the wheels are not straight ahead, there will be a clunk

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If it's wet or dry, use 2HI. If it's snow or ice, 4HI. I would never use 4LO except on 20 degree offroad trails. A4WD is supposed to switch in and out as conditions dictate, but the mode depends on the rear wheels slipping, THEN engaging with a jolt. That can be dangerous to the transfer case clutches IMHO, and unnecessary. So many of us shun the A4WD mode. Be familiar with what the Owner's Manual says on the subject.

mcc

Apr 8, 2012
I find myself using 4HI on icy/snowy roads then switching to 2HI when I need to park or navigate tighter turns. The binding I get with 4HI makes driving in parking lots etc. a frustrating experience especially if the roads are clearer there.

I always try to be gentle with it and only change modes at lower speeds if I can.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Yesterday was my first time on snow with mine. I used A4WD and it engaged as needed very smoothly. I could tell when it kicked in. I also felt the rear end lock up for the first time when I picked up my buddy's trailer on Christmas Eve. I had to back up a slight incline on wet grass and of course, one side spun first, then - BAM! Kinda scared me at first until I realized what it was.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
mcc said:
I find myself using 4HI on icy/snowy roads then switching to 2HI when I need to park or navigate tighter turns. The binding I get with 4HI makes driving in parking lots etc. a frustrating experience especially if the roads are clearer there.

I always try to be gentle with it and only change modes at lower speeds if I can.

I used 4HI to park today when I got home because of the snowdrifts in the way. My open carrier just let my rear passenger spin :no: 4HI and shoved through it no problem :biggrin:

lairdt

Dec 12, 2012
Sparky said:
I used 4HI to park today when I got home because of the snowdrifts in the way. My open carrier just let my rear passenger spin :no: 4HI and shoved through it no problem :biggrin:

Open carrier is a major pain... when the weather improves I certainly will be installing some form of traction control diff.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah, pros and cons. Open carrier is slightly less susceptible to kicking the back end out on you in 2WD in slick conditions as it will allow just the one to spin instead of locking and potentially spinning both rear wheels. But it sure limits traction and is stupid annoying when you have 3 tires on pavement and one rear one (especially the rear right) on ice. Just doesn't go anywhere :mad:

lairdt

Dec 12, 2012
Sparky said:
Yeah, pros and cons. Open carrier is slightly less susceptible to kicking the back end out on you in 2WD in slick conditions as it will allow just the one to spin instead of locking and potentially spinning both rear wheels. But it sure limits traction and is stupid annoying when you have 3 tires on pavement and one rear one (especially the rear right) on ice. Just doesn't go anywhere :mad:

Yep! With all of the rain, slick leaves, and snow I run into each year I certainly won't survive with an open diff. True-Trac install is in my plans for Spring.

If I want the backend to kick out, I can take the F250 with the PowerTrax soft-locker I installed out for a spin. :thumbsup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Do you still have the stock 8.0 inch rear axle in your truck or did you upgrade to the 8.6? There is no aftermarket locker available for the 8.0 is why I ask, only the factory G80 unit.

I've contemplated a Powertrax unit for my 8.6 that I installed in my truck (was supposed to be G80 but they stiffed me on that, at least I got a partial refund, long story).

lairdt

Dec 12, 2012
Sparky said:
Do you still have the stock 8.0 inch rear axle in your truck or did you upgrade to the 8.6? There is no aftermarket locker available for the 8.0 is why I ask, only the factory G80 unit.

I've contemplated a Powertrax unit for my 8.6 that I installed in my truck (was supposed to be G80 but they stiffed me on that, at least I got a partial refund, long story).

Still have the factory 8" with 3.42's. I'm not going to put a locker in my TB, the wheelbase is just too short and it would be horrible on the street where I drive 100% of the time. Detroit has a TrueTrac unit for it though, so that's where I'll go. Plus it's less than buying an 8.0 or 8.6 with factory Eaton, much less upgrading the locker and replacing bearings and all. If I were seriously offroading, I'd be worried about strength of many components but since I'm on road TrueTrac will be a great upgrade.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.