4wd selector switch.

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I have yet another 4wd related problem I can't figure out. This thread is what happened a few weeks ago.

http://gmtnation.com/showthread.php?t=5904

Now the switch seems to be working just fine, but twice now the red neutral light has turned on. Once while I was driving down the highway is when I noticed it one, but it wasn't on when I left the store I was at. The second time it turned on while idling in a driveway. It was in 2wd during both incidents.

It turns off when I switch it out of 2wd. After the light turned off I switched it back to 2wd.

What's up with this truck??? We hardly ever use 4wd with this truck, and every time we do there's problems.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
In their infinite backwardness, the GM designers chose Neutral to be the switch position with the HIGHEST resistance, so a dirty contact or breaking wire will be misinterpreted as N instead of the much safer 2HI.

If you swapped the switch for the newer more reliable version, then you probably have flaky wiring or TCCM connector to the switch. If you haven't replaced the switch, go do it.

Your problem is very likely RELATED to the lack of use of the system. You should be exercising it every month to make sure it will be there for you when you need it the most. An unused switch gets oxidized and unreliable.

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Thanks Roadie. Is it bad to drive with the "N" light on? I'm curious if it's possible any damage was caused from driving with it on. I have no idea how long I drove with it on down the highway. As far as I can tell, everything is in working order.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If your transmission was connected through the transfer case to the driveshaft and you were driving along fat & happy, then you weren't really IN neutral mode. :redface:

Good news is that proves the interlock works. :wink:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chappymate

Members Online

No members online now.