4l60e upgrades...

808trailblazer

Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
My trailblazer has 90,xxx miles daily driver 7 days a week. I was wondering would it be a good thing to upgrade to corvette servo, accumulator springs, accumulator piston and 490 boost valve? What else parts I'm missing?

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Yes, all good stuff. Do you have a tune because that helps a ton even on a stock trans. I have a shift kit, Vette servo, etc in my 02, installed around 65k IIRC. It's at 139k and still going strong. Havent decided if Im going to do a shift kit + billet servos in my SS or wait for it to croak and buy a built one.

If you want to do a shift kit, look at Sonnax's HP-4L60E-01 and their billet servos. Can get it plus billet 1->2 and 3->4 servos, and HD 2-3 shift valve shipped to you for ~$350. Comes with the boost valve, accumulator pistons, etc. If you want to use the Vette 1->2 servo, knock $150 off that so ~$200 for shift kit, HD 2-3 shift valve, and vette 1->2 servo.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Are these all upgrades that a home mechanic can perform, or do you need any special equipment? This deserves a how-to thread! I remember rebuilding the TH350 in my old Pontiac... piece of cake, no manual to guide me, just a $150 rebuild kit and a clean spot on the garage floor. I really wish you could still do that in these new-fangled vehicles.

808trailblazer

Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
Yes, all good stuff. Do you have a tune because that helps a ton even on a stock trans. I have a shift kit, Vette servo, etc in my 02, installed around 65k IIRC. It's at 139k and still going strong. Havent decided if Im going to do a shift kit + billet servos in my SS or wait for it to croak and buy a built one.

If you want to do a shift kit, look at Sonnax's HP-4L60E-01 and their billet servos. Can get it plus billet 1->2 and 3->4 servos, and HD 2-3 shift valve shipped to you for ~$350. Comes with the boost valve, accumulator pistons, etc. If you want to use the Vette 1->2 servo, knock $150 off that so ~$200 for shift kit, HD 2-3 shift valve, and vette 1->2 servo.
No tune 100% stock ecm. So is it worth to do it if its stock tune? I want a little better shifting for the trans

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I would add a new seperator plate and torlon check balls if you can, otherwise the steel balls will still work. I can't comment on the boost valve but find out if you want that firmness first, maybe drive one with it. Not a super-huge improvement but noticeable especially over the vette servo...I didn't do it.

Also add the TCC PWM eliminator, this locks the TC clutch instead of varying the lock.

At your current mileage it's a very wise move.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
808trailblazer said:
No tune 100% stock ecm. So is it worth to do it if its stock tune? I want a little better shifting for the trans

Yes it is, Im saying you should spend the $$ on a tune and see how you like it. You can make these things shift pretty well with just a tune, plus get better throttle response and power. If it's not firm enough for you after a tune, then put a shift kit/servos in it.

gmcman said:
I would add a new seperator plate and torlon check balls if you can, otherwise the steel balls will still work. I can't comment on the boost valve but find out if you want that firmness first, maybe drive one with it. Not a super-huge improvement but noticeable especially over the vette servo...I didn't do it.

Also add the TCC PWM eliminator, this locks the TC clutch instead of varying the lock.

At your current mileage it's a very wise move.

Good point about the separator plate, havent used those check balls (I reused the steel ones in my 02).

The Sonnax kit has the TCC PWM eliminator in the kit. Check it out, it's got a lot of good parts in it. :cool:

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
Yes it is, Im saying you should spend the $$ on a tune and see how you like it. You can make these things shift pretty well with just a tune, plus get better throttle response and power. If it's not firm enough for you after a tune, then put a shift kit/servos in it.

Good point about the separator plate, havent used those check balls (I reused the steel ones in my 02).

The Sonnax kit has the TCC PWM eliminator in the kit. Check it out, it's got a lot of good parts in it. :cool:

When I put my shift kit (Transgo) in at 60k miles I was shocked at how beat up the separator plate was already. I replaced it with a hardened plate and Torlon check balls. I can't speak to their durability but I've had them in with 50k+ miles and no issues.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Hmmm my '08 just now broke through 49000 miles...would now be a good time to consider these same upgrades? I'm finding i am driving on the highway and gravel roads more if that makes any difference.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'm running a Transgo kit + Sonnax accumulators + hardened plate + a few other bits and bobs as part of a complete kit that an ebay seller put together. Really good combo of parts. 178k and counting on the original trans, with no signs of any issues so far :biggrin: Similar kit is in my Camaro's 4L60E that started having problems a long time ago, fixed it right up and that trans has just over 170k on it now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online