4L60E Question

Gunner

Original poster
Jan 23, 2019
Minnesota
Needs rebuild I guess....but what would cause the tranny to work for a couple hundred feet when cold/fresh start, and then just spin as if in neutral until it sits for a couple hours, engine off???

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Well, since it comes back to life later I'd say clutches and bands. If sunshells or gears were broken you'd have a hard fault. I'm no expert though, I just started reading and watching videos on the 4L60E a month ago when mine went.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sounds like it could be low fluid or a clogged filter. Doesn't mean that there's more internal issues, but what's the service history of the trans? Fluid color?

Have you noticed any driveability issues before this happened?

I would drop the pan and change the filter, replace the fluid from the pan with fresh fluid, Valvoline Max Life is good stuff.

Make sure you get a deep pan filter.

Not knowing anything else, that's where I would start.

Reactions: mrrsm and Gunner

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably just like the engine, the fluid is thicker when cold and producing higher pressure able to apply the clutches and bands until it's warm and loses pressure. As suggested, drop the pan and check/replace the fluid and filter.

Reactions: Gunner

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
See if you can get more (or any) forward movement in 3-2-1. If you can start out in 1st, shift up manually at the speed / RPM close to what would be normal, in D.

Also, see if you can hold 1st, *without* shifting (you might want to try this, first). Don't let it rev to the moon in 1st; just see if it'll continue to hold it (e.g.; limit your speed so that the tach doesn't move too much past 2000 rpm or so)

If I were to guess, based on your info, I'd go with clutch packs, or perhaps a forward sprag issue. Either means a rebuild / replace.

The 'couple hundred feet' - would this normally be about the point, based on the speedo / tach, that the trans would shift into 2nd, normally?

In any case, it's probably a hard part, especially if you have no codes present.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunner

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Basing on the fact he can engage a gear then drive off, then it stops after about 100 yards almost points to fluid starvation. However, continued effort to try to move, revving the engine with the clutches partially engage would very likely destroy the clutches forcing a rebuild.

If this is the first occurrence and the OP didn't try to drive it after, then maybe there's a chance it's just a fluid issue.

Gunner

Original poster
Jan 23, 2019
Minnesota
Basing on the fact he can engage a gear then drive off, then it stops after about 100 yards almost points to fluid starvation. However, continued effort to try to move, revving the engine with the clutches partially engage would very likely destroy the clutches forcing a rebuild.

If this is the first occurrence and the OP didn't try to drive it after, then maybe there's a chance it's just a fluid issue.

UPDATE: Yesterday I dropped the pan, totally cleaned it, new filter, gasket, added 4.5 qts of Dexron VI. Test drive (staying close to home) of about a 1/2 mile total, running through all gears. Behaving totally normal. Will try a longer test drive soon. Most likely a clogged filter not passing ENOUGH fluid to keep the pump happy. Not much experience with ATs, but the magnet seemed to me to have a LOT of metal shavings...I have nothing to compare it to, maybe it's the normal amount... 285,000 miles on a neglected 4L60/E. Thanks for the "fluid starvation" hint, it was certainly a factor here. Other internal excessive wear or damage...who knows at this point.

Gunner

Original poster
Jan 23, 2019
Minnesota
Sounds like it could be low fluid or a clogged filter. Doesn't mean that there's more internal issues, but what's the service history of the trans? Fluid color?

Have you noticed any driveability issues before this happened?

I would drop the pan and change the filter, replace the fluid from the pan with fresh fluid, Valvoline Max Life is good stuff.

Make sure you get a deep pan filter.

Not knowing anything else, that's where I would start.

Not low on fluid, but very likely clogged filter. I replaced the filter yesterday, and performance is back to normal. Just a short test drive thru all gears so for, but flawless for the moment. Fluid color was quite dark, and the magnet had a metric shit-ton of metal shavings on it! (my exaggeration, because I don't know what quantity of metal shavings is considered normal)!!
285,000 miles on this 4L60/E....neglected, never serviced, not even a filter change.
I put the O'Reilly brand of Dexron-VI in it.
Thanks for your advice and questions.

Gunner

Original poster
Jan 23, 2019
Minnesota
I hate when people come on here, ask questions/pose problems, get advice....and then disappear! Hey! What happened? What fixed it? What did it end up being?...........
So, I have posted a couple follow-up messages/replies (above). Because I APPRECIATE the sharing of knowledge and experience on this forum! Thanks guys!!

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Good to hear it's operating, what was the consistency of the metal shavings....fine silver goop or more like Grape Nuts cereal?

If in fact the trans has seen few or no services, I would pick up another filter and gasket since the fresh fluid may release some varnish or other material in short order, shift solenoids can get clogged as well.

Did you by chance get a pic of what was in the pan?

Reactions: Redbeard

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Just in case you are interested in more closely watching that trans flr a while....

Somewhere here I posted about making a Torque Pro virtual PID for detecting transmission slippages excluding the torque converter. In my experience by the time the built-in codes pop up it's already too late.

Reactions: Gunner and gmcman

Gunner

Original poster
Jan 23, 2019
Minnesota
Good to hear it's operating, what was the consistency of the metal shavings....fine silver goop or more like Grape Nuts cereal?

If in fact the trans has seen few or no services, I would pick up another filter and gasket since the fresh fluid may release some varnish or other material in short order, shift solenoids can get clogged as well.

Did you by chance get a pic of what was in the pan?

Dark sludgy goo stuck to the magnet, along with a lot of silver slivers. No chunks.

Attachments

• MAG1.jpg
    MAG1.jpg
    571 KB · Views: 10
  • MAG2.jpg
    MAG2.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 9

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Dark sludgy goo stuck to the magnet, along with a lot of silver slivers. No chunks.

That actually looks pretty good considering the mileage and the fact that the filter was neglected enough to get clogged.

Looks about normal.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac