4000 lb rating on a 2006 Rainier stock hitch?

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
When renting a cement trailer yesterday, I noticed a 4000 lb maximum load rating on my receiver hitch. Is this true on our SWB platform when towing using a standard ball mount verses a WD system? Per the owners manual, the AWD I6 truck has a 5300 lb tow limit. :confused:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Generic sticker, just peel it off and pretend it was never there like I did... The manual was made for your vehicle. The problem with that hitch sticker is that it was made for pretty much all the vehicles and has that generic sticker on it that was conservative just so it wouldn't instruct you on an illegal weight for your vehicle...

And you also have to factor in the different weights depending on how and what you are pulling as you said... It's complicated... Just GM lawyers playing it safe (or whoever made the hitch for these)

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
McGMT said:
Generic sticker, just peel it off and pretend it was never there like I did... The manual was made for your vehicle. The problem with that hitch sticker is that it was made for pretty much all the vehicles and has that generic sticker on it that was conservative just so it wouldn't instruct you on an illegal weight for your vehicle...

And you also have to factor in the different weights depending on how and what you are pulling as you said... It's complicated... Just GM lawyers playing it safe (or whoever made the hitch for these)

Thanks, as I was thinking as such. The first cement company I visited issued a "no go" for rental as the doof looked at the sticker and stopped me in my tracks. Even after showing him the owner's manual, his brow seemed to grow larger and still rejected my claim. The trailer weight with a full load of concrete was 4500 lbs. His inconvenience swallowed up part of my morning as I sought out an alternative vendor. The next company never even questioned.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Busterbrown said:
Thanks, as I was thinking as such. The first cement company I visited issued a "no go" for rental as the doof looked at the sticker and stopped me in my tracks. Even after showing him the owner's manual, his brow seemed to grow larger and still rejected my claim. The trailer weight with a full load of concrete was 4500 lbs. His inconvenience swallowed up part of my morning as I sought out an alternative vendor. The next company never even questioned.

There are many mannny morons in the world like that.... Anyone with a brain knows a vehicle like this could never max out a class 3 hitch and that what the owners manual says is the holy grail of GM. Glad you found someone who helped ya...

Rip that bastage off and make it look like it was never there.

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
Agreed, rip it off. Just a safety for them so if you overload it and hurt someone, or yourself, GM isn't liable. Iv towed a good amount with my tb, including a 25ft camper - i also know a guy who has a lifted TB on 32s, towed a full steel car trailer with a crashed TB on top about 100 miles. Braking was a little tough but it handled the load just fine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online